Wednesday, September 30, 2009

INSANE-DITTY

  
HELP! 
I’m going insane!
Just a few minutes ago, I passed my closet and saw something shiny on the sleeve of one of my hoodies.
Curious, I looked at it.
It was a medical wristband like the kind they put on you when you’re admitted to the hospital with your name, birth date, doctor, and the date of admission. 
The date said 7-25-09.
That was just a few months ago.
BUT. . .I DON’T REMEMBER BEING IN THE HOSPITAL ON THAT DATE!!!
My stomach knotted as I ran and got my date book and opened it up to July 25th.
Nothing!
I stared at the date, my heart racing now. What in the hell? 
And that’s when I realized.  I must be going nuts!
Or have been nuts for a while.
Obviously, I was in the hospital somewhere with some condition on 7-25-09 and since then have blotted it out of my brain.
Am I a schizophrenic?
Do I have multiple personalities like Sybil, when one of her personalities did things that the others didn’t know about?
Is that what’s happening to me?
I suddenly felt like I was in my own noir movie, you know, the kind wherethe lead character finds clues that the life they think they know doesn’t really exist. And there’s really a deeper, darker existence that they’re living in.
I was going to call my daughter and ask her delicately if she knew what I was doing on July 25th, but decided against it. She already thinks I’m getting Alzheimers. I don’t need to promote that idea.
Then I was going to call my friend. But then I wondered, maybe she’s not really my friend after all. Maybe she’s a nurse and in my mentally confused state of mind I call her “friend?”
No, I had to figure this mystery out myself. I had to think while my brain was at least in the present, before it slipped back into a blank mental state.
OK, the wristband was on the arm of a sweatshirt.
Which was odd. 7-25-09  was the dead of summer. Why would I wear a sweatshirt when it was 85 degrees and higher everyday?
Hmm?

Degrees. Something about degrees is ringing a bell.
Wait a minute!
It’s coming to me . . .
Slowly . . .
Yes . . . 
OK!  
FEVER!
I had a fever on July 25th!  Because of strep throat. Yes! I remember now. It was a Saturday. My doctor’s office was closed and being delirious with a raging sore throat, fever and my body racked with pain, I went to a new urgent care a few miles away.
And then before the doctor saw me, the nurse put this informational wristband on me. I remember thinking at the time (which was difficult due to my fever) that it was odd that an urgent care center would put one of these wristbands on me. I then went home and collapsed in bed slept for a whole day and a half. 
LOL!  LOL!   LOL!
Silly me.
Guess my writer’s mind went into overdrive for just a moment.
Glad I didn’t tell anyone.
Especially my daughters.

Always,
Em-Musing

1 comment:

Sloan Parker said...

Hi, Karen. This is a great story. You built the suspense perfectly. Nice post.