Wednesday, September 30, 2009

INSANE-DITTY

  
HELP! 

I’m going insane!

Just a few minutes ago, I passed my closet and saw something shiny on the sleeve of one of my hoodies.

Curious, I looked at it.

It was a medical wristband like the kind they put on you when you’re admitted to the hospital with your name, birth date, doctor, and the date of admission.

The date said 7-25-09.

That was just a few months ago.

BUT I DON’T REMEMBER BEING IN THE HOSPITAL ON THAT DATE!!!

My stomach knotted as I ran and got my date book and opened it up to July 25th.

Nothing!

I stared at the date, my heart racing now. What in the hell?

And that’s when I realized.  I must be going nuts!

 Or have been nuts for a while.

Obviously, I was in the hospital somewhere with some condition on 7-25-09 and since then have blotted it out of my brain.

Am I a schizophrenic?

Do I have multiple personalities like Sybil, when one of her personalities did things that the others didn’t know about?

Is that what’s happening to me?

I suddenly felt like I was in my own noir movie, you know, the kind where the lead character finds clues that the life they think they know doesn’t really exist. And there’s really a deeper, darker existence that they’re living in.

I was going to call my daughter and ask her delicately if she knew what I was doing on July 25th, but decided against it. She already thinks I’m getting Alzheimers. I don’t need to promote that idea.

Then I was going to call my friend. But then I wondered, maybe she’s not really my friend after all. Maybe she’s a nurse and in my mentally confused state of mind I call her “friend?”

No, I had to figure this mystery out myself. I had to think while my brain was at least in the present, before it slipped back into a blank mental state.

OK, the wristband was on the arm of a sweatshirt.

Which was odd. 7-25-09  was the dead of summer. Why would I wear a sweatshirt when it was 85 degrees and higher everyday?

Hmm?

Degrees. Something about degrees is ringing a bell.

Wait a minute!

It’s coming to me . . .

Slowly . . .

Yes . . .

OK! 

FEVER!

I had a fever on July 25th!  Because of strep throat. Yes! I remember now. It was a Saturday. My doctor’s office was closed and being delirious with a raging sore throat, fever and my body racked with pain, I went to a new urgent care a few miles away.

And then before the doctor saw me, the nurse put this informational wristband on me. I remember thinking at the time (which was difficult due to my fever) that it was odd that an urgent care center would put one of these wristbands on me. I then went home and collapsed in bed slept for a whole day and a half.

LOL!  LOL!   LOL!

Silly me.

Guess my writer’s mind went into overdrive for just a moment.

Glad I didn’t tell anyone.

Especially my daughters.

2 comments:

Sloan Parker said...

Hi, Karen. This is a great story. You built the suspense perfectly. Nice post.

Anonymous said...

With the Fifth Shanghai International luxury goods packaging exhibition promotion ended successfully celine bags For most people to produce elusive feeling of luxury brand marketing mission celine bags also known as non-necessities celine bags they have tentacles sink celine bags 37 celine bags