Tuesday, October 13, 2009

ALL THINGS MUST PASS


When traveling abroad, it´s always wise to learn a few words and phrases so you can communicate in certain situations.

Like needing to find a bathroom.

Bano is the word in Spanish for bathroom. And always having to use one frequently, I learned this phrase first, "Bano, por favor?¨

Unfortunately, I hadn't learned the other words that go with bano like: clogged, won’t flush, overflowing!

Thankfully, when I called housekeeping in the hotel, the woman spoke English. So when I told her that the toilet in my room was stopped-up, she said she’d send someone quickly.

And that’s when I learned that some phrases are all-lingual.

Knock Knock

“Hola. In there,” I pointed. “Bano. Clogged.”

“Mmgh.”

FLUSH

“Eeeesh!”

“Sorry.”

PLUNGE PLUNGE

“O pew!”

“So sorry. Lo siento.”

FLUSH PLUNGE! FLUSH PLUNGE!

 S P L A S H!

“AYE AYE AYE!”

“So, so, lo siento!”

Cripes! I was running out of ways to say I was sorry when thankfully . . .

W  H  O  O  S  H  

“PHEW!”

"Gracias señor. Mucho gracias.”

“Mmgh.”

I’ve since learned that tipping handsomely is also understood in all languages.

"Gracias señora."


No comments: