Monday, November 9, 2009

NO CAN DO DO

Sunday—an unseasonable day for November in the Mid-west.
Sun shining, temps in the low 70’s.
I know I've said I'm not fond of autumn because winter is right behind it.
But yesterday was perfect.
I wanted to get out and feel the warm fresh air on my face. See the last of autumn's colors. And smell the leaves.
A perfect day for a walk in the park.
Not!
Seems everyone in the world owns a dog but me.
Or at least everyone at the park.
And besides walking in the park. . .
Dogs poop in the park.
Don’t get me wrong, I love dogs. Used to have two.
But the stink in the air was overpowering. Was I the only one gagging?
Let alone hopping over and side-stepping doggy do?
Yes, I saw some owners with their hands deep into the doggy bags picking up the presents that their dog deposited.
But somewhere there were cheaters. Owners who let their dogs go in the bushes.
Or those who didn’t “bag” the do.
Because there was evidence that some poor unsuspecting nature lover had walked, head up, and then . . .
YUCK!
Stepped in doggy do!
And then they unwittingly smeared it down the asphalt trail.
So, for fear of doing the same, then stinking up my car, and then having to wash off my good walking shoes back at my apartment. . .
I had to walk head down the entire trail.
And those were not the colors of nature I wanted to see.
Now, I’m not saying people with dogs shouldn’t take their doggies for walks.
I’m just saying there ought to be trails just for people.
So dogless people like me can walk head high, and breathe in clean, fresh air.
And not have to jump, hop and gag our way through the park.

Always, Em-Musing

1 comment:

Jill Kemerer said...

I had a similar experience recently. I love dogs. I love seeing dogs walking with their owners. But come on! People need to clean up after them. Yuck!