Thursday, May 13, 2010

SPRINGTIME FANTASY

“Spring is my favorite season!”
Really?
It’s what a lot of people say to me.
But it has to be the spring in their heads…
Or screensaver photos of spring…
Or spring depicted in movies…
Or the spring in their imagination…
Because no one in their right mind…
Would love the spring the Midwest is having now…
And a good portion of the East too.
Of course the flowers and flowering trees are gorgeous.
Of course they are!
But the gloomy, rainy, still cold days…
Are getting to me.
And it happens every year!
At least here.
But I can say that I love…
The “few” postcard perfect days…
That manage to occur.
So…
As far as I’m concerned…
I just wish…
The wishy-washy days of spring…
Would come to an end…
And the consistency of summer would get here.
At least I’d know how to dress.
And just out of curiosity…
And just so I didn’t look like the biggest pessimist in the literary world…
I Googled poets…
To see what some of them thought about spring.
And I found these:

The sun was warm but the wind was chill. You know how it is with an April day When the sun is out and the wind is still, You're one month on in the middle of May. But if you so much as dare to speak, A cloud comes over the sunlit arch, A wind comes off a frozen peak, And you're two months back in the middle of March.   Robert Frost

O, how this spring of love resembleth 
The uncertain glory of an April day!  
William Shakespeare

If there comes a little thaw, Still the air is chill and raw, Here and there a patch of snow, Dirtier than the ground below, Dribbles down a marshy flood; Ankle-deep you stick in mud In the meadows while you sing, "This is Spring."  Christopher Pearce Cranch

in Just-- spring when the world is mud-- luscious the little lame balloonman whistles far and wee 
e e cummings

April is the cruelest month, breeding Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing Memory and desire, stirring Dull roots with spring rain.  T.S. Eliot

To be interested in the changing seasons is a happier state of mind than to be hopelessly in love with spring.  George Santayana    *my favorite

Thanks guys! I feel better.

Always, Em-Musing

1 comment:

Elana Johnson said...

Oh, I'm so with you. If the rain doesn't stop, heads will roll... and I don't mean flower heads.