Tuesday, June 1, 2010

PRIVATE EM

Memorial Day…
To honor those who have died in our nation’s service.
I didn’t do anything in particular to honor them yesterday…
Other than to watch TV coverage of services
But each and every day…
I am grateful for those who gave their life…
To defend our country and preserve our freedom.
I’ve often wondered if I could have ever made it in the military.
The answer is no.
While I am patriotic…
(I boo hoo every time I hear the national anthem)
I always knew I didn’t have the stick-to-it-iveness
To get through boot camp.
I’d want out within a week.
I don’t have the upper body strength to do the obstacle course…
I’m not mechanically inclined…
So when it came time for me to disassemble my weapon…
And clean it…
I wouldn’t be able to put it back together…
And most of all
I like my privacy
In all aspects of my life
Particularly in the head/latrine.
I’m not making light of military service…
But I have always known my weaknesses…
And that’s why I appreciate…
And am thankful for those brave God-fearing folks…
Who unselfishly gave years of their life.
While I don’t have any relatives who died in service…
I do have family and friends who have served in the military courageously…
And I honor them:.
Harold W. Baldwin  WWII  Army  Father
LeRoy Baldwin  WWII  Army  Uncle
William Baldwin  – WWII  Army  Uncle
Jennifer Kurek-Resnik   Navy  – Daughter
Michael Kurek  Vietnam  - Marines  My daughters’ father
LeRoy Baldwin  Navy  &, Air Force  Cousin
Chris Hamer – Army – Stepson
Graham Vernon – Army – Brother-in-law
Bob Ingram – Navy – Brother-in-law
Harvey Fischer – Army – Brother-in-law
David Craig – Navy Seal – Family Friend

Always, Em-Musing

No comments: