Monday, August 30, 2010

PRIDE & PURPOSE

After writing about Harriet, my 82-year-old neighbor…
I started noticing other people in my neighborhood.
Specifically one man in particular.
He’s a short elderly man, not sure how old…
Maybe in his late 70’s?
I see him walking everyday…
Wearing a worn-out suit and tie…
And fedora hat.
(sort of like mine in my picture)
I’ve seen him at the bank…
At fast food restaurants…
Even at the library.
He’s a dapper man…
With a moustache…
Darker skin…
Maybe Italian, Greek, or Mexican…
Can’t tell for sure…
Because his hat conceals part of his face.
I wonder about him.
Widower?
Where does he live?
Does he have a family?
But something even more strikes me…
He never gives up.
I’ve seen him walk in all kinds of weather…
Rain, snow, 90 degrees…
And always he walks with pride and purpose…
To what destination I'm not sure
But he inspires me.
Waiting for my career as published author to take off…
I’m going to use this man as a role model…
And to keep on writing…
With pride and purpose
No matter how bad the climate of rejection is
Because I see my destination
And know that one day I'll get there.


Always, Em-Musing

4 comments:

Talli Roland said...

Loved this. You've got to have faith and self-belief!

And I cna just see this man walking down the street with his fedora...

Unknown said...

I love that he gave you such inspiration! It makes me smile!! I love seeing someone walk with such purpose, no matter what type of weather. I wonder where he is going and what he's doing.

If you ever find out, please share :) I'll picturing the man with the fedora hat walking down my street!

Tana said...

I love how you wonder. My son loves fedora's. I read an article they are making a comeback. That old man of yours is fashion savvy and I bet he doesn't even know it. ;)

Jill Kemerer said...

He is an inspiration. I'm inspired by his discipline and habit. Two very important traits to have.