Wednesday, August 4, 2010

UP THE DOWN ESCALATOR

I had some thoughts last week…
While at RWA Nationals.
I realized that the elevator…
Is not a good place to pitch.
Too many other people…
Getting on and off.
But as I rode the escalator…
I thought…
Hmm?
Would an escalator pitch…
Be better?
You and an agent would line up…
As soon as you got on…
Either going up or down…
You start to pitch.
Thirty seconds…
That’s really all you have.
If the agent likes your pitch…
You get to go to round two…
The pitch table.
And that’s where my other idea came to me.
While I was waiting to pitch…
Sitting with dozens of other women waiting also…
I was tense, my neck muscles getting tighter by the second.
Hmm? 
What I wouldn't do to have a neck and shoulder massage…
Either before I pitch…
Or after when I’m done.
Five bucks for five minutes
Or ten for ten minutes.
I’d pay for that…
Would you?
And then while down in the vast badly lit catacombs
Of the Dolphin hotel 
Waiting for my pitch session
 I had another idea
An alternate universe idea!
But it’ll have to wait till tomorrow…
I’m still working on my submissions.
So, till tomorrow…

Always, Em-Musing

2 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

Ooh, yes, they should have one of those neck massage contraptions I see in the mall at those events! They'd make a killing. LOL

Sarah N Fisk said...

yes! an escalator pitch probably makes more sense. Not only for the points you mentioned, but because it feels less like you're "cornering" the poor agent/editor because it's open air.

And those massages are a fantastic idea. I have friends who are masseuses; I'll let them know about the opportunity they're missing out on ;-)