Friday, October 29, 2010

WHOSE TIME HAS COME?

I was in my car the other day…
At a red light…
When I glanced out the passenger side window…
And noticed an old cemetery
Next to a gas station and behind a medical lab.
I’ve sat at this intersection hundreds of times…
But never noticed this small, inconspicuous cemetery before.
The thin, old-fashioned headstones…
Were askew
And darkened with crud from acid deposition.
There were no flowers on any of the graves…
Unlike the cemetery a few miles up the road
That has flowers by almost all those newer headstones.
I’m thinking that the dead people…
In this little old cemetery…
Have probably been there sooo long…
That even their relatives are all dead
And in cemeteries somewhere too.
Just before the light turned green
I noticed a sign on the fence surrounding the cemetery…
Hours - Sunrise to Sunset
Hmm?
If ghosts really do exist…
Perhaps the cemetery sign should read:
Hours for living people – Sunrise – Sunset
Hours for dead people – All the time  

Always, Em-Musing
P.S. OK, I confess. This is a resurrected and edited post from last year.

9 comments:

Joanne said...

There are lots of stories in those old stones, lives lived, journeys taken. Those hours of sunrise to sunset are kind of symbolic, too, with parallel meaning.

JB Lynn said...

LOL, well it was new to me and it made me chuckle, so thank you!

Janna Leadbetter said...

My thoughts always get away from me like that! Love your presentation of this post. And I've always been interested in voiceover work (singing, in particular). What a cool thing you do.

I found you through Jill Kemerer, and see we have other bloggy buddies in common. Nice to "meet" you. :)

Karen Baldwin said...

Nice to meet you too, Janna,thanks for stopping by. And I just had coffee with Jill this morning. :)

Tana said...

LOL. Every now and again I'll run across a cemetery in odd places. Our town has one smack in the middle!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Ha! The post seemed new to me! :)

Elana Johnson said...

I love seeing new things on old, familiar roads.

Erin MacPherson said...

Sad... but a good post.

Talli Roland said...

Ha! I loved this - so true. We always think about things from our own perspective - in this case; the living one!