Tuesday, February 22, 2011

THE HEATING GAMES

Early yesterday morning…
I started out of a sound sleep sensing…
That something was wrong, or different.
The apartment was still…
And an eerie silence pervaded indoors and out.
I don’t know about you…
But when stuff like this happens…
I automatically think I’ve died.
Actually, the electricity died because of the ice storm…
That blew in overnight taking down power lines…
No heat, no computer-time—no coffee!
By nine, I took a shower while the water in the tank was still hot…
Then by noon with still no electricity…
I ventured out to Starbucks and also to buy a roasted chicken…
But not before checking in on Harriet who announced,
“They said we may not get electric till Wednesday night.”
When I got home, the inside temp was 61.
As the hours passed, I kept busy cleaning my office…
Then the whole apartment, scrubbing, dusting, organizing…
And all the while the temperature kept plummeting…
60
58
56
54
Also daylight. But sundown was too soon for bed…
Just then Harriet called. “ There’re five inches of snow predicted.
My son came and got me. What are you going to do?”
I decided to stay. And then took action…
I put food from the now warm fridge outside in baggies…
Got in my PJ’s, a big fluffy robe, two pairs of socks…
Found two candles, and then hunkered down to read Writer’s Digest…
And the last hundred or so pages from The Hunger Games.
(yes, I know. I’m the last person on earth not to have read it)
As tenants kept driving off in search of a safe place for the night…
And the inside temperature was now 51…
I realized I was one of the last ones still here.
Hmm? What would Katniss do?
Stay and weather it out?
Or wuss out and go to a hotel or family member’s house?
I stayed, savoring a plate of salad and chicken…
And the last pages of The Hunger Games.
I then blew out the candles and crawled into bed…
Under five blankets and a down comforter…
And my cat.
For the first time ever she laid on top of me to help me stay warm.
As I drifted off to sleep, I wondered just how far the temps would fall.
And then
 5:00 A.M
Electricity!
Heat!
Coffee!
My computer!
And back from my hiatus of posting on my blog...
That as you can see is under some renovation.

Always, Em-Musing

4 comments:

Constance Phillips said...

Em! I didn't know you were out of power! You could have come out here.

Sounds like you made the best of a bad situation though.

Karen Baldwin said...

Thanks Connie. It was a bit of an adventure.

Anne Gallagher said...

I'm very proud of you. Nothing like weathering a bad storm. No pun intended. Kitty companionship is always nice in bed. I'm glad Harriet is okay too.

The Blogger Formerly Known As said...

It’s this kind of thing that makes us realize how much we rely on electricity, isn’t it? And almost feels like camping in our own homes. Glad you got through it al right.