Wednesday, February 2, 2011

WAITING TO EXHILARATE

Really?
This is it?
The "Storm of historic proportions!”
The “Snowmaggedon!”
That ever since Sunday…
The weathermen hyped…
As they tracked a weather pattern…
From halfway across the country.
And even my little Weatherbug icon…
Jumped and chirped for three days on the bottom of my laptop.
You would have thought the world was coming to an end.
Yeah, sure, we did get some sleet and/or freezing rain…
Yeah, sure, some snow did dump–about 6 inches…
But it’s no big whoop.
Not compared to the snow that fell on the east coast.
And darn…
I so wanted a snow day…
When the whole city shuts down…
And the newscaster tells you the city is at a level 3…
That you cannot leave your house, that you must stay off the streets.
I think it would make me feel like a kid again…
When I used to hover around the radio…
(yeah, I’m that old, don’t say anything)
Waiting to hear the announcement that school was closed…
And the exhilaration when it did…
And I got a free day...
Of no homework...
No tests...
And I got to play all day.
Earth to Em– hello? You’re an adult, you can do anything you want now.
Yeah, yeah…I know I can…
But it’s not the same feeling…
I wonder if I'll ever have that feeling again...
When I'm waiting for...
What? 
Whoa!
The city is under a level 3 snow emergency.
WOO HOOOO!
So?
What is it about a snow day that gets me so exhilarated?
Ever feel like this?


Always, Em-Musing

2 comments:

Elena Solodow said...

I definitely felt old today when my office closed and I was actually concerned about my "work responsibilities". How about I meet you outside and we'll build a snowman, then go sledding? I'll put the hot choco on the stove now.

Karen Baldwin said...

I'll bring the marshmallows.