Tuesday, March 29, 2011

WRITER UNPLUGGED

Last week...
Five A.M….
My muse awoke…
Ready to write…
Needed to write.
Outside…
Banana and coconut palm trees swayed…
To the breezes of the Trade Winds.
Off a short distance.…
The tide of the multii-hued turquoise sea…
Whipped up white-frothed waves…
On a shell strewn beach.
Just outside my window…
Pink and crimson bougainvillea…
Entwined on a Chiclet wood terrace.
Beneath, iguanas emerged from giant hibiscus trees…
Ready to bask in the warmth of the equinox’s rising sun.
And all around…
Birds called and swooped…
Within the dense wet jungle…
Whose scents intensified by the humidity.
I took a deep breath and I drank in my environs.
Ah, paradise, si?
No!
HELLl!
A writer’s hell!
And all because of cords!
Either misplaced or tangled cords…
To my laptop…
My cell phone…
My wireless (useless) device…
My camera…
My ITouch!
That I couldn't get in touch with…
Because I could never keep track of its cord!
Or any cord!
Why couldn't I remember where I put all of them?
But the bigger question is:
Why didn’t I put them in the same place every day?
But I swear I did…
I’m convinced the little Mayan jungle people…
Known as the alux (elves)…
Came in while I slept and moved and hid them.
So frustrating to me was keeping up with my cords…
That my brain scrambled…
And I could hardly function let alone write…
And then the battery to my laptop was—­
Nooooo! Almost out of  juice!
ARRGGHH!
All I can say is…
I’m darn thankful that my heart or brain…
Don’t need cords to function…
And I’m not responsible for keeping track of them…
Otherwise I’d be dead before I…
1)  found the cord and…
2)  found an outlet in this jungle villa room to plug into.
You see…
The second leg of my working vacation had me in…
Akumal, in a jungle villa on the Caribbean, in the Mayan Riviera
(Yeah, I know… boo hoo, right?)
And while I didn't get homesick…
I  most definitely got outlet sick
And very much missed…
Each and every outlet in my office back home.
I guess even in paradise…
There are sacrifices a writer has to make.

Always, Em-Musing


1 comment:

Linda N.J. Szymanski said...

I know about cords! My computer has 15 of them springing from every orifice- ipods, blue tooths stuff, fax machine, printers, camcorer, digital camera, keyboard and monitors. It's ugly and a mess, lets face it. And traveling- well I pity you, honestly, like traveling with 3 uruly octopi ( is that the plural for octopus?) I label each cord when I get it, have ONE BIG zippered pouch I travel with- several rubber bands to keep them to themselves at night and...then I pray.