Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A SLICE OF PERSPECTIVE

“Don’t you hate the waiting?” a woman asked me.
“Yes, and worrying,” I said. “Waiting and worrying”…
“And wondering ‘what if’” she added.
“Yes you’re right. Waiting, worrying, and wondering ‘what if’.
“Because we both know the ‘what if’ could go many directions.”
Sitting among a half dozen other strangers…
In a flimsy gown...
Gown? I'd hardly call that thing a gown.
And having just exposed our breasts to another stranger…
We both nodded then stared off…
Into our own space and experience.
Just then the heavy metal door opened…
“Leigh?”
I looked up…
My breath halted...
I felt my blood drain…
My heart gave a thud…
And then…
The stranger smiled and gave a 'thumbs up.'
Suddenly it occurred to me, all the…
Waiting, worrying, and wondering ‘what ifs’…
About query letters and rejection…
Is a piece of cake in comparison…
To those fifteen minutes…
Waiting, worrying, and wondering ‘what if.’

Always, Em-Musing

6 comments:

Samantha Vérant said...

Ahhh! I had a very scary experience last year re: the mammogram. What can I say, besides I'm a lumpy gal? Thankfully, it was nothing to be concerned about. But yes. Life has bigger problems than queries. Makes querying seem, well, insignificant.

Anne Gallagher said...

Yeah, Like Samantha, I had a problem. Two more mammograms later they realized the machine was damaged not me. Talk about waiting and what if's. Two weeks worth. I was a basket case.

Congratulations, you're clean. And you're right, it's all about perspective. Queries are a piece of cake compared to that.

Creepy Query Girl said...

wow- way to put things in perspective! this was great:) And I'm glad you don't have to wait and wonder about it anymore for awhile:)

PM Kavanaugh said...

Yep, great "slice of perspective." Glad the news was good and hoping you get MORE from your querying.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Hooray for no more waiting for now. Waiting and worrying are like little demons gnawing away my shoulders. Aaaagh!


♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥

Can Alex save Winter from the darkness that hunts her?

YA Paranormal Romance, Darkspell coming fall of 2011!

Talli Roland said...

Those moments make use realise how precious life is, don't they?