Tuesday, January 3, 2012

STUFF, ME

Last night I watched the reality show, Hoarders
And of course I squealed out all the typical comments…
Eeuuww! Disgusting! Gross! OMG—a pile of dirty adult diapers?
My poor brain just couldn’t conjure a path to follow…
Through these people’s minds as to WHY?
I immediately felt smug knowing that I’d never be a hoarder.
But then…
I got to thinking back a few weeks ago…
When I was sorting through my office in my apartment…
Of what to pack for my permanent move here to Akumal, Mexico
And while I am not a hoarder…
I am…
A  STUFFER!
No, not junky, disgusting, or duplicate stuff…
But stuff…
Like old issues of writer mags I never read…
Clipped articles I hoped to read, but never did…
Piles of business cards of people I met at writer conferences…
But never contacted…
Papers with new agent names I never followed up on…
Offers in the mail for something I thought I needed…
But never got around to ordering…
And other stuff that doesn’t even have a category…
And all this never-got-around-to stuff…
Took up space in draws, shelves, and parts of my desk.
Well, knowing I couldn’t take most of this stuff with me…
I sorted and pitched. But it was hard!
I felt attached to this stuff...
Even though I've never referred back to any of it.
So?
If I created a new reality show called, Stuffers
Would your office or writing space qualify you as a stuffer?

Always, Em-Musing 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm a bit of a clean freak and that includes hoarding and stuffing. I do have an issue with old writers magazines and my books not being in the correct place, but overall my husband and I spend a lot of time throwing stuff out.

Happy TUESDAY!

Unknown said...

I think that's great stuffuff to hol on to. I wish I hung on to my old 80s concert tees, they are going for alot of money now.

farawayeyes said...

I used to be a stuffer too. After my big move to the Caribbean where we brought clothes...I l earned to do differently. Personally,I find it to be a freeing up of self, to not have stuff.

Unknown said...

I try very hard not to keep too much stuff. In fact I threw a lot of stuff out over the holidays. I figure if I haven't looked at it in 12 months, I don't need it. Needless to say, about 2 hours after throwing something out, I find my very life depends on it. :)

Misha Gerrick said...

Definitely. I have this (no so very) irrational fear that I'll need those papers the moment the trash people carry them away. ;-)

Anne Gallagher said...

I must have watched that same episode because I went on a cleaning spree. This year I will definitely have a yard sale.