Friday, June 29, 2012

DARWIN'S KITCHEN

When I entered my kitchen this morning…
To make coffee—OW!
I stubbed my toe—again!
And it’s not because I’m a klutz…
Although I’ve been known to be one…
But rather it’s because there is no toe kick…
And that’s not all that’s wrong in this kitchen either…
The counters are not high enough…
So I’m forever leaning over at an angle…
That hurts my back.
And there is no logic to how the cabinets are placed…
The whole room just doesn’t function well.
And then suddenly…
Like a spark of lightening…
A thought struck…
Hmm?
I didn’t see this kitchen being built…
Let alone see the builder who built it…
In fact, I don’t even know who the builder is…
And the flow of this kitchen…
Defies intelligent design.
So?
The only conclusion I can come up with is…
My kitchen came into existence by mere chance…
Random molecules of wood, ceramic tile, and stainless steel…
Must have either BANGED into each other haphazardly…
Or swam around in some primordial tropical soup…
And after some “time”—voila! The kitchen appeared…
With sink, cabinets, countertop…
And all the appliances in place.
No, it’s not perfect…
But I believe that after enough “time”…
This kitchen will evolve and be flawless.
For now though….
I’m just wondering…
How long will it take my coffeemaker…
To advance into a higher species…
And become an espresso machine?

Always, Em-Musing

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm... coffee maker to espresso machine might require a little 'divine' intervention :)

Lynn Proctor said...

if that happens to your coffee maker--let me know---loved this!!

Gossip_Grl said...

Love the posting. I've been waiting on my coffee maker to turn into a Keurig. :) I have looked at my house and wondered WTH they were thinking when it was built, or more of a WTH were they drinking. ;) Enjoyed your post today

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

Yeh - one wonders who does design these things? Not a woman, i'll wager...

Karen Baldwin said...

Pat, I've designed two homes in the past, and each time I've had to tell the builder, YES! I DO know what I'm doing. Just build it.

Mis Anthropy said...

Ha. I feel your stub. I used to live in a house I'm sure was built by gnomes or at least they were no taller than 3 feet.

farawayeyes said...

Tried to comment early this morning and the computer when haywire.

I too have found that most homes and especially rooms like the kitchen were designed by those who would never USE them. Are you kidding me?

DL Hammons said...

Evolution happens slowly! It has to become a Keurig first! :)

Misha Gerrick said...

Hahaha lovely question. Still, if evolutionary theory is true, your coffeemaker will be an espresso machine loooooooooooong after you die. :-D

Shannon Lawrence said...

Too funny! I've found so many things in my house that defy reason. We try to change them one by one. Instead of a toe issue, we have a head issue with one set of cabinets. It smarts.

Talli Roland said...

Haha! I think our kitchen was designed randomly, as well. That truly is the only explanation.

Anonymous said...

hahaha... can't wait to see what evolves at your writer's retreat - especially in the kitchen!