Thursday, January 31, 2013

STINKY, SWEATY BOOKS


Yesterday in Playa del Carmen…
I strolled the book section…
Of a department store called Liverpool...
I didn’t expect to buy anything…
Because all the books are in Spanish…
But even so, I like to look at the cover art…
And then…
*heart races*
I came upon a measly little orphaned shelf…
With some books—in English!
And they were current!
There was John Grisham…
Tom Clancy…
David Baldacci…
Nicholas Sparks…
Anne Rice…
Even Jodi Picoult.
SQUEE!!!
Now mind you…
I have devices to read e-books…
And I understand the convenience of e-readers…
And how many books I can store on them…
(and I have)
But still…
It’s not the same as…
Being drawn in by the book’s cover art…
Picking the book up…
Reading the back cover blurb…
And then…
Smelling the book.
(hope the security cameras didn’t catch that)
Kindle, Nook, Kobo Glo and all other e-readers…
May change the way people read books…
But they can’t change the way I feel about books.
And really…
What do e-readers smell like?
Stinky, sweaty palms?
So?
Ever sniff a book?
If you have an e-reader…
Have you ever sniffed it?

Always, Em-Musing

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Can't say I've sniffed either.
But glad you found some books in English!

Adam said...

e-books are not the same, I agree.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

No, I've never sniffed it, but now I'm curious.

Barbara Watson said...

Ahhh...the smell of an antique book shop. Now there's a lovely smell.

And there's nothing, nothing, like a 'real' book.

DL Hammons said...

That's why I haven't converted over yet!! :)

Nick Wilford said...

Fun post. I'm sure the next incarnation of the Kindle will have a smell feature, though!