Monday, February 4, 2013

HOW THE WEST WAS WIPED


Didn’t watch the Super Bowl last night…
(although I did watch some of the commercials this morning)
Instead…
I watched a few episodes of Into the West on Netflix.
It’s an amazing mini series of how two families…
One white, the other Native American…
Become mingled through the momentous events…
Of American expansion.
And while watching the story unfold…
And how arduous, dangerous, and often tragic…
Their life was…
All I kept wondering about was toilet paper.
OK, when the settlers were in the woods…
There were possibilities…
But on the plains?
With nary a tree in sight?
Or in the snowy mountains with pine trees?
Um, what did they use?
So while I believe I could survive…
On beans, bacon, bread, and dried fruit for a year…
I would not survive one day…
Without toilet paper.
And that got me thinking of paper.
I think paper is one of the most important…
If not THE most important…
Inventions of modern man.
Because I wouldn’t want to be in a world…
That didn’t have paper that I could write on…
And books made of paper that I could read…
And most definitely…
A bathroom without paper to…
Well, you get the picture.
So?
What do you think the most important invention…
Of modern man is?

Always, Em-Musing

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Most would say the computer, but you have a point. I couldn't live without toilet paper either.

Adam said...

I'm glad I didn't watch the superbowl, a power outage during the game was embarrassing.

Barbara Watson said...

I can't decide on just one. I'm too much of a modern-day wimp. I like a warm house without busting up firewood. I like a machine to wash and dry my clothes. And one that washes my dishes too. Well, you get the picture. So maybe I'd say electricity. Without it, so much in my life would be too much work.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Right behind toilet paper is air conditioning. Now I know why people beat feet out west. The humidity of the South and Midwest drove them.

Laura S. said...

Toilet paper is definitely a really important one! But since I hate doing the dishes and don't have a dishwasher, I'm going with a dishwasher. I really really wish I had one of those!!

Shay Lacy said...

I have to go with HRT. I don't know how women made it through menopause without drugs. I don't know how men lived through their mood swings. How did civilization continue on?

Jennifer Shirk said...

Ha! Toilet paper--such a thing we take for granted. Actually the whole sewer system is a must too. :)