Friday, April 26, 2013

BOO WHO?

I can’t believe I did it…
I used a technique while conducting business…
That if I used it in the States…
Every feminist would smack me on the head…
“We struggled hard to be taken seriously!” they’d say.
“And there you go and pull a stunt like this?”
But I’m not back in the States…
I’m in Mexico
And American ways are not Mexican ways.
So here is my confession…
Twice recently...
When I felt like I was being taken advantage of…
Because I was being asked to pay more money…
For something I already paid for I...
CRIED!
Now mind you…
It was only after all means of reasoning failed…
But yes, me a grown woman boo hooed.
Oh it wasn’t sobbing or wailing…
I only quivered my lip, make a pouty face…
And produced a few tears.
And it worked!
“Good for you,” my friend Donna said.
“Now you’re understanding the Mexican way.
Mexican men can’t stand to see a woman cry.”
“It was phoney. I couldn’t believe I was doing it,” I said.
“But it worked, didn’t it?
“I haven’t used tears to get what I wanted...
Since the ‘70’s.”
“You’ll get used to it. Isn’t Mexico great?”
So?
What means have you stooped to, to get what you wanted?

Always, Em-Musing

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The secret weapon! So sneaky. If my wife and I are having an argument and she cries, game over - I lose.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

No shame in that. I'll cry if I need to.

Adam said...

never knew that

J.L. Campbell said...

Tears are fair game if you're being unfairly treated.

The silent treatment works for me.

J.L. Campbell writes Jamaican Kid Lit

Intangible Hearts said...

Oh dear Leigh. I just hope this doesn't lead to other things. Just kidding. Watch out down there!

Cathrina Constantine said...

Whatever it takes, right?? Good post.

Anonymous said...

I like offering a painful alternative and making it seem unnecessary. "Sorry I forgot my homework at home, but I can call my mom at work and have her drive all the way home and bring it all the way back over here." ;)

Anne Gallagher said...

I'm glad this still works for someone. Doesn't work for me anymore.

Brandon Ax said...

This doesn't seem to work as well for men. We tend to get the okay they are losing it look while they slowly back away.