Friday, October 4, 2013

NOW FEAR THIS

I don’t respect fear…
Of course there are things in this life…
That warrant caution…
(or a weapon)
Before plodding forward on something.
But I think fear can be used…
As a convenient excuse...
And though convenient…
It’s a crippling way to live...
Especially the ‘I’m afraid to fly,’ mantra.
OK, here’s a scenario…
If a loved one is critical in another city…
And the fastest way to get there is to fly..
Will you shelf your fear…
And fly before they die?
Or will fear cripple you even then?
And if you overcome your fear and fly then
Why can’t you overcome fear now
So you can enjoy life to the fullest?
Trust me…
I’ve flown with many a twisted gut...
But the older I get…
I’ve had to look fear in eyes…
And slap the f*#*king bitch and say...
“You think you’re stronger than me, fear?
You think you’re going to stop me, fear?
We’ll just see about that.”
I mean really?
How old do I have to be…
To be the conqueror over the fear within…
To be all that I hope to be...
Before my knees won’t bend…
Before my minds starts slipping…
And a cozy bed in a nursing home is beckoning…
And there I am in soggy diapers?
So?
Does fear ever hold you back...
And prevent you from doing what you want—now?
Or?
Have you over come any fear?


Always, Em-Musing

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I hate to fly, but I still do it.
I think the older we get, the less fear can control us because we really don't care anymore and it's not worth the effort. At least for me...

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Feel the fear and do it anyway.

I used to be really shy and scared to speak in front of others. Now I'm a professional speaker. Still not sure how it happened.

Pat Hatt said...

Fear doesn't bother me, after what I've been through, screw it just do it I say

Anne Gallagher said...

I've lived through too much crap to be afraid of much. Okay. Well maybe tornadoes kind of make me a little nuts. But flying, yeah I hate it but I do it anyway.

Green Monkey said...

it's like you're in my head...
I'm reading Pema Chodron, When Things Fall Apart
Chapter One - Intimacy with Fear."Fear is a natural reaction to moving closer to the truth."

Today, I'm trying to sit with my fear of death and loneliness, pain, chemo, cancer and the unknown.

"The next time you encounter fear, consider yourself lucky. This is where the courage comes in. We think that brave people have no fear. Truth is that they are intimate with fear."

farawayeyes said...

Real courag us being smar enough to be afraid of something but doing it anyway.

At this point in my life probably my biggest fear would be having lived a life full of regrets. I seriously try not to have them.