Wednesday, April 6, 2016

THE FIVE ELEMENTS OF THE ROAD TO PUBLICATION




PLOT     Author drags out her manuscript from dusty archives 
           on her laptop – one more time - to see if she has the 
           guts, balls, mental frame of mind, to get it published.


THEME  Recurring - Write, Edit, Query, Rejection,  
           Rewrite, Edit, Query, Rejection. And then do it all over   
           again and again, and again, and again ad nauseum.


SETTING :  Author's mind as she contemplates the roller coaster  
            emotional ride :  Joy, hope, giddiness, agony, anger, 
            hopelessness, feeling like a fool. 


POINT OF VIEW :   

Family:      It doesn’t matter, we love you even if you’re not 
            published.

Friends   Please don’t ask us to read your manuscript one more 
            time.

Critique
Buddies :    Keep going, you’re almost there. You're a good writer.


Author:     This manuscript is a piece of crap! Why am I wasting  
(insecure)   my time? Why did I ever think I could write? Everyone 
            writes better than me! I’m a failure!  I’m nuts! Hmm?  
            Maybe I’m not so bad after all? Oh, who am I kidding?


CHARACTER   Author decides no matter, what this road to 
                 publication is definitely character building and  
                 worth it.

Always,
Em-Musing


7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like that! So true. And better to have family that encourages rather than discourages.

Stephen Tremp said...

Ha! Love the friends quip please don't ask us to read this. So true.

I’m exploring different types of dreams and their meanings.
E is for Epic Dreams
Stephen Tremp’s Breakthrough Blogs

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I think my friends were more "Oh, you want us to buy and read this one, too?" LOL

Anonymous said...

Cute post for the Insecure Writer's Support Group of April 2016. I like what you are getting at in your dialogue and I sympathize with how you are feeling, I imagine, writing this. It isn't always easy trying to write and I know there are many obstacles, just like everyone knows it about writing. Have fun with your A-Z challenge if you are participating and have a good break if you decided against blogging the twenty-six letters. It is nice you have such spritely insight into what it takes to dialogue and course scenes as a writer. Hopefully you will keep on producing little delights such as you have written here. It was nice to come across this and I wish you all the best in the future! Thank you so much for putting this out there. Ta ta for now.

Julie Flanders said...

This is great! And very true.

Karen Baldwin said...

Thanks Alex, Stephen, L.Diane, Odel101, an Julie for your comments. :)

Deniz Bevan said...

Love it! I wish that "this MS is crap!" feeling would go away forever!