Thursday, April 28, 2011

FRANKLY SPEAKING

thought I was being creative…
When I designed my own blog.
OK, yes…I did start off with Blogspot…
But not satisfied with their typical templates…
I went on to “advanced” settings…
Where I jerry-rigged my own…
In order to get a blog that best represented me.
And actually, it’s still not perfect
I would have preferred my photo to be a bit smaller…
But what I got is all I could get.
Anyway…
In the past few months…
I’ve joined a few writer sites…
And wanted to add those gadgets to my blog…
But noooooooooo!
I can’t do any fun or creative things to my blog…
Because I side-stepped “normal”…
Because my blog isn’t mainstream…
Because I did it “my way.”
And this got me thinking…
About my novel…
While I’m staying true to my voice, true to the story…
It may not be considered mainstream...
Or have a broad appeal.
Actually, being that it's humorous women's fiction...
It does have a "broad" appeal.
But you know what I mean.
So?
What do you think?
Should I write the story only I can write?
Or write a story geared for mainstream?

Always, Em-Musing

7 comments:

Samantha Vérant said...

No, write the way your story was intended! never follow trends or the mainstream! Things change on a daily basis...

Sarah said...

I wouldn't focus too much on mainstream--but I would focus on good plot, pacing, and other elements of craft that will make whatever you write totally shine!

Anne Gallagher said...

Write the story you want to write. Always. Mainstream right now is YA, and that's not what you, or I, write. Be true to yourself.

Elena Solodow said...

You always want to write the story you love. I never think of it as "mainstream", I think of it as accessible. Write what you love, but also something readers can easily love. Especially for a debut novelist, you'll have a much better chance of publication by writing what's true to you, but in a manner that everyone can access.

Jessica Bell said...

Write the story only you can write. Trying to be something else always ends badly. And what happens if you do get picked up by an agent after you've written for someone else? And then you have to spend the rest of your existence writing crap you don't want to write? Horrible thought ...

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Be true to yourself. It will show in what you write and the readers will know. :)
♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥

Laura said...

No way - write the story only you can write, otherwise you'll write a loveless piece as your muse pines away for her one true love (dramatic, moi?!)
Lx