Tuesday, April 12, 2011

REALITY THIS

So…
Continuing the theme from yesterday’s post…
About reality TV…
I’ve discovered some other shows…
The “extreme” shows…
Or course there's Extreme Makeover Home Edition
Then there's Extreme Plastic Surgery Makeover
And now there’s Extreme Couponing.
I’m not kidding.
But seriously–are they kidding?
How much interest, is there in clipping?
C’mon writers!
What we do has to be more interesting than clipping coupons!
We have to have more emotional layers don’t we?
And there’s obviously more at stake, isn’t there?
I can see a whole season of  Extreme Author
The first episode would start off with a camera crew…
Capturing the sob story of some weary writer…
Then a team of editors would come in…
And for the next few episodes they’d analyze the manuscript…
Explaining the flaws in the writing…
They then would rewrite, and submit to agents who…
Then submit publishers who–
Um, yeah...
The TV viewers switched channels long ago.
I guess for now the only reality show for us writers...
Is us...
Just really  being in the trenches writing, editing, submitting, etc.
What about you, you creative person you...
What kind of reality show would you create?

Always, Em-Musing

5 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

A close-up of the writer as she hears the news her book has been picked up by a publisher. The crying, screaming, down on her kneews thanking God for the editors.

Oh yeah, I can see it.

I saw the ads for extreme couponing where the woman spends $6- on 12 carts of groceries = $700-. And she was mad because she had to spend $6. OMG. Don't the networks have anything else better to do. I'm so glad I don't have cable anymore.

Talli Roland said...

Extreme Author - haha! I love Anne's breakdown.

Elena Solodow said...

I've always tried to think of a way they *could* do a reality show with a writer, but I agree that it would be a bit lacking...something along the lines of Anne's breakdown would be a must. The writer would have to be a total nut.

Karen Baldwin said...

Anne, I think your breakdown has resonated with all writers. LOL!

Samantha Vérant said...

I'm all for Extreme Writers! But, as you pointed out, it would probably have been pre-scripted and cast. What about a show where off-their-rocker writers hunt agents and editors down on an island???? Hahaha!