Thursday, June 14, 2012

DON'T BUTT ME

You know what I love about books?
Characters cannot butt into each other’s conversations.
And the reason I even say this is…
The other night I was channel surfing…
And came upon the show Monsters In-Laws.
Ugh!
Another screaming-meemy reality show.
Really?
Can anyone even hear what the other is screaming?
And me? I’ve been in conversations…
Where each person is so excited to speak…
They jump on the other person talking.
At least in printed dialog…
Each character gets to finish their sentences....
Before the next one can start...
Because if characters on printed pages could butt in..
You might get this:
“Wait! You can’t talk yet...
I haven’t even gotten to my period yet."
"Well your sentence is too long and boring."
"Well you use too many exclamation points."
"Do NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"And you’re dialog doesn’t sound like a real person."
"Yeah it DOES!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"Yeah? You’re such a diphthong."
"Am NOT!!"
"OK, then you’re so disjunctive!"
"Shut your dialog up!"
"No you shut YOUR dialog up!"
Phew! I’m so glad Word…
Doesn’t have a ‘butting in’ function key.
Aren't you? 
And what about you?
How do you handle a Budinski?
Or ever watch a screaming-meemy reality show?

Always, Em-Musing

11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I avoid that kind of reality show.
I usually just let someone who butts in talk themselves out. Or I leave. Depends on my mood!

Gossip_Grl said...

The one Monster in Law Kaluha or whatever her name is was on the Dr Phil show. She got on my nerves and I switched channels.

Jennifer said...

I only watch PBS. I do enjoy those reality shows, though. After watching one I feel much better about my own life!!

Hart Johnson said...

*cackles* I LOVE the stand in conversation. Though the idea of this is relatively painful. Hubby and I are in the process of setting up rules, as he seems to think HIS turn should last 45 minutes then tells me I didn't listen if I don't respond in perfect order to all his points *rolls eyes* and THEN, he never gives ME a chance to finish. (he should be a lawyer, actually, but me? I'm a writer. I HATE in person arguments because the other person NEVER responds as I've scripted.)

Barbara Watson said...

I can't watch reality tv. The people chosen to be on them are so extreme--which I suppose provides the 'entertainment,' but it's not entertainment to me, it's ugliness.

And I love your point about how book characters can't interrupt. It's nice, isn't it?

Mis Anthropy said...

Hahahah love that dialog. The screaming reality post. Perfect.

DL Hammons said...

I abhor reality TV...with a passion. I'll turn the TV off before I watch it.

Shay Lacy said...

How funny, Leigh. I don't watch those kind of shows. My DH does. I can tell it's reality TV by the bleeps.

Arlee Bird said...

Good point. I avoid yakky reality shows. I do tend to listen to call-in talk radio shows but it drives me nuts when people start talking over each other so you don't understand anyone's point. I think the problem is that there are certain people who like to talk a lot but don't like to listen.
Written dialog is much easier to follow.

Lee
Tossing It Out

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

haha! What a funny post!

I hate movies and reality shows where there's nothing but constant bickering and yelling. Don't want real life stuff interfering with my time-wasting.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I can't watch those shows! In real life, I just shut it and wait until they're finished, usually. Otherwise, they just keep doing it. I figure they have no interest in what I'm saying, so why bother? Blech.