Wednesday, June 27, 2012

I FEEL BAD

I couldn’t let the day pass…
Without mentioning the passing of Nora Ephron
If you’ve never heard of her…
Check this Wikipedia link
But her screenplays for:
When Harry Met Sally…
Sleepless in Seattle
You’ve Got Mail…
Julia & Julie…
Among many, many other accomplishments…
Will live on.
It was her appearance on Oprah’s show…
When she was plugging…
I Feel Bad About MY Neck….
A book of essays…
That I first connected with Nora.
Her kind of humor speaks to the heart of my writing.
If anyone ever asks me who my inspiration is…
It would be Nora.
(also Erma Bombeck & Jill Soloway)
Here’s one of her quotes about humor and her parents...
Who were also screenwriters.
“They believed that anything in life could be turned
Into a story. Which is really the first rule of humor. 
I don’t think you can get through almost anything 
without humor."
R.I.P Nora.
So?
Who is your inspiration for your writing?

Always, Em-Musing

15 comments:

farawayeyes said...

Nora Ephron passed away? Bummer! When you live on an island with no TV, this is how you get your news.

Did Alex J. say you were hosting a blogfest in Aug? Maybe that's my mistake. Came here today looking for info and got this sad news.

farawayeyes said...

Went back to check...different Leigh, sorry. Still sad about Nora.

Crazy Life of a Writing Mom said...

That's so sad. She was an amazing woman.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

She received a touching tribute last night on the NBC Nightly News. This was before news of her death had spread.

Lynn Proctor said...

yes i heard about her passing--so sad--i too loved erma bombeck--very nice tribute

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Another blogger paid tribute to her today. She wrote some memorable movies.

Carol Kilgore said...

Nora Ephron was an inspiration for me, too. She will be missed.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I didn't realize she died. How very sad. She will truly be missed. She was an inspiration to me as well. I loved her book I Feel Bad about my Neck. And her movies were brilliant.

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

One of my favorite movies..."You've Got Mail." How very sad!

I'm not sure who inspires me to write....

Gina Gao said...

She was an amazing person. I feel so sad that she is not with us anymore.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Lydia Kang said...

I will miss Nora but am so glad that she was able to give so many wonderful stories to the world. They are some of my absolute favorite stories of all time.
RIP, Nora.

Barbara Watson said...

When Harry Met Sally is one movie that lives in my heart and mind on so many levels. I still have an old VHS (!!) copy of it I can't part with.

Intangible Hearts said...

Great post about Nora Ephron and I agree with her parents that tough times can be turned into humor.

Linda Roy said...

I will miss Nora - her wit and wisdom. Erma was always a big influence on me and another really funny lady - Lizz Winstead's new book is hilarious!

Jeremy Bates said...

Those were/are great movies and they never fail to give me a laugh. Did you know her parents were screenwriters as well. If memory serves me correctly, they wrote "Carousel" way back when.