Friday, June 1, 2012

WHO, ME?

I’d like to thank Ilima Kahokuhealani Todd…. 
For this award.

To accept, I've got to write 
Seven things about me...
And pass it on to 5 unsuspecting bloggers.
So, here goes.
1)      When I was a kid, I’d sleep with the blankets 
    pulled up over my head in the summer because 
    I was afraid Dracula would come through my 
    screenless window and make me a vampire.

2)    Because I got caught chewing gum in class, 
  I had to memorize and recite the Declaration 
  of Independence. I memorized, but was too 
  shy to stand in front of the class so I took 
   a week long detention instead.

    3)  When I was a radio DJ, I accepted a gig to do 
         a bike run to the local orphanage. But I was 
         thinking bicycle bikes, not Harley’s. When I 
         showed up at the Harley Davidson store (that 
         should have been a clue), there were hundreds 
         of bikers all leathered up. They outfitted me up,
         chaps and all and away we went. Trust me,
         there's nothing like the smell of hundreds of 
         Harleys revving in the morning.

4)    The first three radio commercials I ever wrote 
     took Gold ADDY Awards. Radio spots are still 
     my favorite thing to write.

5)    I once took acting lessons from Uta Hagen, 
    grand dame of Broadway. I did well my first 
    monologue, but for the second one, she ripped 
    my performance to shreds. I was so hurt I 
    grabbed my props and took off. After a while, 
    I heard my friend ask,“Has anyone seen 
    Leigh?” A crowd of people then found me 
    balling like a baby in the attic of the 
    theater.Too bad I couldn’t act my way out 
    of that scene.

6)  I cry when I hear the Star Spangled Banner.

7)  I am a Christian.

Now, I'll pass this on to:
Shay Lacy 
Jenna Rutland
Constance Phillips
Jill Kemerer
Wendy Burke

Take it away ladies.
And speaking of away...
Leaving for the Sates again...
See you back mid-next week.

Always, Em-Musng

15 comments:

Sarah said...

Leigh, I feel like I know you better now--very interesting facts and congrats on the award!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations! Too shy to recite the the Declaration of Independence and yet you became a DJ. Bet that teacher never predicted that happening. And number seven - Amen!

Creepy Query Girl said...

aw, I loved your theater story! lol And when I was a kid, I kept dracula's cape from a halloween costume and wore it to bed. So, you know, the vampires would think I was just one of them and obstain from sucking me dry:) Congrats on your award!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Awww, you're a sensitive soul.

I cry when I hear the Star-Spangled Banner too! Every time. And when I hear O' Holy Night.

DL Hammons said...

Those vampires (and other creatures of the night) were after me as well!

Loved getting to know you better! :)

Have a safe trip!

Barbara Watson said...

I love hearing the more personal side of the writer-bloggers I know. Thanks for sharing, Leigh.

ilima said...

I love these facts, they are all so book character worthy. :) Thanks for participating!

Unknown said...

Congratulations Leigh! Well deserved. We've known each other for ?? years and I only knew about numbers 4 and 7. Go figure. More stories to share. Safe voyage tonight.

Intangible Hearts said...

Congratulations on the award and I love your personal story about acting and the Star Spangled Banner.

Shay Lacy said...

Leigh, there is no way I can top some of those stories.

Mis Anthropy said...

I have 21/2 of those in common with you..well, maybe 2 1/4

Lydia Kang said...

#1, yes! I used to be afraid of the whole being attacked by monsters at night thing too!

dolorah said...

I've been on the back of a Harley a couple times. Pure Heaven.

.......dhole

Samantha Vérant said...

I was an ad-woman for a while. I never won an Addy! How awesome are you? And, man, I haven't heard the name Uta Hagen in a long time.

Isis Rushdan said...

Congratulations on your award! I can relate to being shy, but not sure I would have take a week of detention :).