Wednesday, July 5, 2017

VIRTUE REALITY

This post is part of the monthly blog hop/therapy session known as the Insecure Writers Support Group, founded by the one and only, Alex J. Cavanaugh. If you're a writer, insecure, or just supportive of writers—insecure or not—please join us. It happens the first Wednesday of each month.
I encourage everyone to visit at least a dozen new blogs and leave a comment. Your words will be appreciated.   

Today’s optional question: What is one valuable lesson you’ve learned since you started writing?

What lesson have I learned? 
Everything takes longer than you think. Find patience.

"Patience is the greatest of all virtues"- Cato the Elder 234 BC-149 BC  

**years ago** 
Me:       My manuscript’s ready!
Patience: Not yet. Edit.
Me:       Did it. Now I’m ready.
Patience: Nope. Keep editing.
Me:       Did it. For sure, my manuscript is ready.
Patience: Not yet. Firm up the storyline.
Me:       OK, done, now can I query?
Patience: Flesh out the characters.
Me:       OK, did it. I have to be ready now, no?
Patience: Not even close. Find a beta reader.
Me:       OK did that too. I’m ready to query.
Patience: You need to research agents. Personalize each one.
Me:       EH! This is taking too long!! I want to query now!
Patience: Your query isn't ready. It can’t be over 300 words.
Me:       Seriously?
Patience: Cut, revise, tighten. Have someone read your query.
Me:       I’ve written a whole manuscript! Why can’t I write a query?!
Patience: Just do it!
Me:       Phew! Done! Finite! Now am I ready?
Patience: Yes. Let the querying begin!
Me:       Hey Cato! Maybe patience was a virtue to you...
           But to me...
           Patience is a royal pain in the patootie! (with benefits)

How 'bout you? Got patience?

Always,

Em-Musing

8 comments:

Tamara Narayan said...

I didn't have much patience in my first novel querying attempt. I essentially used agents as beta readers, which is not a great idea, but I did learn a lot.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I agree - it's a pain in the butt. But necessary!

Sadira Stone said...

What a hoot! I also wrote about patience this go-round, as did several other writers in our blog-hop.

Pat Garcia said...

What can I say but amen. it is so true that everything takes much longer than we think it should. That's why patience and perseverance is so important.
Wishing you the best.
Shalom aleichem,
Pat G at Everything Must Change

L. Diane Wolfe said...

LOL! I have patience now. Wish I'd had more in the beginning.

cleemckenzie said...

Great conversation. We need this over and over. My Gram was right, "Patience is a virtue."

Tyrean Martinson said...

Patience is still something that I'm learning each day with my writing and with life, but it is certainly a valuable lesson.

Cynthia said...

Patience is useful to have and I also think that once a manuscript is ready, it should be shared with others.