Thursday, July 1, 2010

OLD BATTER UP

It’s show time!
Well, not literally.
It’s not like I’m going on stage or anything.
But then William Shakespeare did say:
"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages."
Hmm?
I wonder, at sixty, which act I’m in?
It still feels like I’m only…
In the bottom of the third, going into the top of the fourth.
No wait, that’s baseball.
And I digress.
The show time I’m talking about is me…
Practicing pitching…
With a few of my writer friends…
At coffee this morning.
And I’m more nervous than if I was pitching at RWA Nationals.
Why?
Because if I strike out at RWA, I can slink away, never to be seen again.
But if I strike out with my friends, I’ll be seeing them for a long time.
Hmm?
On second thought…
Maybe my “pitching” is more like baseball than I thought.
I’m either going to hit a foul ball…
A base hit…
Or…
Is it possible?
Have I practiced enough?
Maybe I’ll hit a home run!
But it doesn’t matter…
Even if I whiff*…
We’re on the same team…
And…
These ladies will always…
Root, root, root…
For the home team.

Always, Em-Musing
* Whiff - a strike out or to strike out

2 comments:

Joanne said...

What a great way to practice your pitch. It seems like it'll help catch any glitches, as well as give you practice feeling comfortable presenting it. Have fun, I'm doing "the wave" for you :)

Jill Kemerer said...

Oh! I know! I pitched to two coffee partners last year and it was horrifying!! They were gracious, but I was a mess. It helped me rework my pitch. I actually seemed normal and like I knew my book at Nationals. Thank goodness for coffee partners!