Thursday, November 4, 2010

SCARIEST MONSTERS OF ALL

The other day…
I watched my granddaughters…
While they were off for All Saints Day.
Well, the school said it was a teacher’s work day…
But being a Catholic school…
I figured it was more likely because of the saints.
Anyway…
My daughter told me that my granddaughters…
Were allowed only one piece of Halloween candy for the day.
One piece?
For the entire day?
What kind of mean demented trick is this?
Weeks before Halloween, parents get kids all excited…
Asking them, "What do you want to be?”
Then parents point out scary costumes in stores…
Parents point out costumes in catalogs…
Parents make cool costumes you can’t buy anywhere…
Parents dress them up and take them to Halloween events
Parents dress them up again for school…
Parents dress them up again for Halloween night…
Parents take lots and lots of pictures…
Then finally . . .
HALLOWEEN!
Parents walk them around the neighborhood dressed-up…
Parents oooh and aaah as candy is throw in their bag
Parents take them home and say, ” Let’s see what you got!”
Parents pick out their favorite candy and stash it…
And then parents say . . .
“You can only have one piece of candy…
Because it’s almost bedtime.”
See what I mean?
It's a sick demented tease isn't it?
Weeks of anticipation
Only to hear their loving parents say “Only one piece of candy.”
And then, the icing on this demented scenario
Parents keep the candy in plain site for weeks tempting them.
No, the scariest monsters of all aren’t vampires, witches, or zombies
It's parents!
And that’s why…
When my granddaughters asked…
“Grandma can we please have one more piece of candy?”
I said, “Absolutely! But you have to promise not to tell mommy.”
“Promise! Grandma, you’re the best!”
:)

Always, Em-musing



7 comments:

Joanne said...

That's what Grandmas are for, a little bit of fun rule-bending :)

Jessica Bell said...

Oh man ... only one? Good on you for giving in a little! :o)

Drop by and enter my CELEBRATE THE LITTLE THINGS GIVEAWAY!

Matthew MacNish said...

OMG that's awesome!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Ha! It is sick and demented. LOL!
I let my kidlet enjoy--but only if she lets me partake in her candy too! :)

Talli Roland said...

One piece of candy!? That's SO not fair!

Erin MacPherson said...

Ha! You're one of THOSE Grandmas! My kids are also allowed to only have one piece a day (they get SO wild otherwise!). But, yesterday, I saw the candy wrappers in my mom's trash. Apparently Grandma's rule isn't the same as mine. My son told me he wasn't supposed to tell, but he had 5. *sigh*

kah said...

I need to find a kid I can steal some candy from.