Friday, February 24, 2012

YA'LL CHANGE NOW, YA HEAR?



I’m sure’ ya’ll know Shakespeare’s saying…
“what’s in a name?”
I’ve never really thought about it much though...
Until yesterday.
As ya’ll know…
I’m submitting to agents this month…
(and will till I run out of agents to submit to)
And because I’m in Mexico
I’m only doing e-queries for now.…
So there I was, ready to send a query…
To one agent, that according to my research...
Looked promising…
Until I saw their email address:
Slushpile@yah0--.com
(Not kididing)
And I thought, YOWSA!
That’s seems mean and rather off-putting…
Or is that their idea of a joke?
Or what?
So I didn’t send it.
But then this morning…
Looking for a motivational quote for my blog…
I came upon this quote…

"I discovered I always have choices
and sometimes it's only a choice
of an attitude."  unknown


Well ya know what?
I'm gonna change my attitude...
I'm gonna send that query to "Slushpile"...
Because I'm not gonna let a name deter me.
So?
Ever have an attitude changing moment?


Always, Em-Musing
P.S. sorry for all my ya'll's and gonna's...
it must be from watching too many episodes of...
Swamp People
Ya'll have a great weekend now, ya hear?

8 comments:

farawayeyes said...

At the end of the day, the only 'real' choice you have is 'what attitude will I apply to a given situation?' Might as well make it a good one.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That seems rather cruel.
Hey, your attitude is all you can control!

Matthew MacNish said...

I think as writers we consider slush to have very negative connotations. I don't think agents and their assistants see it the same way.

Talli Roland said...

What a great post,and I love your attitude. You can't let a name put you off your dream!

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's my twisted sense of humor, but I think naming a query address 'slushpile' is genius. Think of how many people probably didn't change their attitude and go back like you did. I bet she has the smallest slushpile of only the most determined authors in the history of agents.

Or I'm way off base and it's time for that agent to follow a new career path. ;)

Jennifer Shirk said...

Ha! It's so easy to pick up a southern accent, isn't it? LOL

That is kind of a weird email, but yeah, why not? I'd do it too.

Lydia Kang said...

I pick up a southern accent in the midst of other southerners, so this post was funny for me.

Keep going. Slush or not, that's where the agents will dig up all the brilliance that must be published!

Misha Gerrick said...

So true. Maybe Slushpile turns out to be the one. Fingers crossed. :-)