Friday, March 9, 2012

RADISHES IN MY SOUP

A lot to learn…
In this Mexican culture & cuisine…
Like…
They put radishes in soup…
Pozoli actually. A soup made from hominy.
(it’s delish)
And water flows many places here…
Not just in el Carib…
O lagunas…
Y cenotes…
Oh, no….
Water flows ‘under the table’…
Meaning...
“If you want this building permit…
You have to pay...
‘Water under the table’.”
Really? Are you kidding?
Wish I was.
(I actually, snickered when I first heard this term. Not anymore)
It’s a process that’s been going on…
Since the time of the Spanish conquest…
So I’m told by everyone who’s built here…
And my son-in-law, the attorney…
Who studied international law.
‘Water under the table'? PUH!...
It’s extortion, as far as I’m concerned…
Or mordida in Spanish…
And no one can claim immunity.
So…
Just like I have to acclimate to the heat here….
I’m gonna have to adjust to how business is done.
Fine! I’ll pay…
But please don’t ask me to like it. Or smile at you.
(perhaps that’s where the term ‘ugly American’ came from?)
Well, today I find out…
Just how much water/dinero...
Will flow ‘under the table'.
Oh, and don't know if this is good or bad...
But it’s also a full moon today…
And if la luna affects water…
Wonder how la luna will affect…
This watery transaction of mine?
So please, if you would be so kind…
Wish me…
‘Fair winds and Following seas’. 


Always, Em-Musing

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Full moon - proceed with caution!

farawayeyes said...

Ah, the corruption of the Caribbean. Here it's an art form.

Unknown said...

Oh, beware that full moon. I wish you Fair Winds and Following Seas!

Jennifer Shirk said...

I was just talking about this with a friend who was just in Costa Rica. He said the police there stopped him and wanted a little money under the table too.