Tuesday, May 22, 2012

WRITER NEEDS SWAT TEAM

The other day,
I overheard a man say…
“The dengue got me.”
Dengue? (pronounced den-gay)
Hmm? 
Maybe it’s Spanish for dingo?
Like in, “The dingo got my baby”
Spoken by Meryl Streep in, A Cry in the Dark .
(OK, she actually said, “dingo took my baby.”)
I’ll just Google
Dear God!
DENGUE!
As in Dengue FEVER!
Transmitted by mosquitoes in the tropics.
And wouldn’t you know it…
I am an insect magnet…
That attracts every sand flea, mosquito, 
Tabano, and no-see um…
Within 50 yards!
And ya wanna know why?
I Googled this too...
It’s because I'm a heavy sweater, release more heat...
Produce more uric acid and cholesterol on my skin...
And pant out more carbon dioxide than most people.
YUCK! This not sexy!
And in case you think I'm overreacting (who, me?)
Here’s an article on Dengue Fever in yesterday’s paper.


The virus lasts 2 weeks with flu like symptoms.
All I can say is, thank heavens for Avon's Bug Guard...
It's an effective bug repellant with sunscreen.
If it included an anti-wrinkle cream...
I'd buy stock in it.
So?
What do you attract?

Always, Em-Musing

5 comments:

farawayeyes said...

The 'sketos' that carry Dengue usually creep into your house and bite you at night (seriously). Here on island they call it bone crusher fever because you feel as though every bone in your body had been broken. Trust me I know. Sickest I've ever been.So sleep in your Avon Skin So Soft.

Maurice Mitchell said...

Excellent poem. For some reason ants love to bite me. They'll trip over each other to get a piece of my leg. Guess I should have been nicer to them as a kid.
PS. I sent you a Versatile Blogger Award!
http://filmsketchr.blogspot.com/2012/05/versatile-blogger-award-from-madlab.html

M Pax said...

That dingo line is so memorable. I still remember it.

Have not heard of Dengue fever until today. Skeeters love me if I'm not wearing lavender. Up in the Cascades, they love everybody, even if we are wearing lavender.

Tracy said...

ahhhh, good question....I think I attract good people! and I also attract people's ability to open up their heart. That sounds vain but it's true...

menopausal mama said...

I live in So. Florida where mosquitoes breed like rabbits on a honeymoon, so I'm used to slathering on bug spray just to walk the dogs! No, my biggest fear is cockroaches---palmetto bugs, to be exact. They are the cadillac of cockroaches here! Unfortunately, the female flying ones are attracted to humans with certain pheromones, and guess what? That's me! I am forever looking over my shoulder for the buggers because they always seem to find me!
Great blog, by the way. Glad I found it from your visit to mine. I'm going to join on your GFC. I have the same thing on mine if you're interested in following as well at http://Menopausalmother.blogspot.com
Thanks for sharing this funny post---I enjoyed it!