Tuesday, July 10, 2012

IT'S A JUNGLE OUT THERE

Aw…
Didn’t mean to frighten anyone about Mexico
Because the truth is…
Police here are considered ‘preventive’ law enforcement...
Unlike cops in the States...
Who show up after an incident or crime.
With tourism here on the Rivera Maya…
Being the only industry…
The Mexican government...
Wants to deter crime and not scare the tourists...
Because that would mean the locals wouldn’t have work.
And actually?…
When people ask me if I’m afraid to travel…
I say, “Oh yeah! You betcha!
When I travel to the States that is...
Like, Detroit, Chicago, Philly..
And yup…
Even some parts of my beloved New York City.”
And just like NYC’s finest…
Who are on almost every corner…
The policia here in Mexico
Are ever vigilant too.
There, there…
Feel better now?
Please don’t be afraid to visit me…
When my retreat is up and running…
The only thing that you might encounter…
Are the chongos (monkeys) in the jungle.

Always, Em-Musing

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Are there police for monkeys that fling poo? Just trying to cover every possible scenario.

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

I feel much better now knowing that everyone is safe and sound in Mexico!

Misha Gerrick said...

I must say, from what you've written about Mexico, it sounds like a wonderful place. :-D

Anonymous said...

We were recently in Mexico and saw an armed guard with a shotgun in the Mexican equivalant od a 7-11. We took a picture of him. He didn't look to happy. Not smiling for the photo at all.

Julie Flanders said...

Oh I want to come and see the monkeys! I think your retreat sounds amazing. I've never been to Mexico but hope to change that someday.

Kendra503 said...

I don't think Mexico would be as bad as everyone (around here) says it is... My Spanish teacher actually got back a little while ago from there and had an awesome time. (: That's a cool tidbit about the police! Too bad they can't do that here. >.>

Hey, I gave you an award over on my blog! (: http://flamecycle.blogspot.com/2012/07/award-number-three-stylish-blogger.html

Intangible Hearts said...

Leigh, I read the previous post yesterday and tried to figure out if it was a poem and I'm glad I came back today for more of an explanation. I like the free-flow of your thoughts and I'm sure it would be fun being a 'chongo' at your retreat.

DL Hammons said...

Preventative law enforcement??? LOL!!!!!!!