Monday, February 11, 2013

IT'S GREEK TO ME


It snuck in…
Almost unseen…
But not quite…
Because…
I found it!
The Greek!
Yogurt, that is…
Here in Akumal, Mexico!
Finally!
I’m so excited!
Since moving here a year ago...
I’ve been on the hunt for Greek yogurt…
But nada…
OK, there was one store that caters to gringos…
It was 20 miles away…
And always by the time I got there…
The Greek yogurt was sold out.
And yeah, I’ve have made my own yogurt…
But to make it Greek…
There’s a lot of straining involved…
a.k.a lots of time involved...
Time I don’t want to spend over a cheesecloth.
So there I was the other day…
In the dairy section of Chedraui…
(a big brand supermarket here in Mexico)
When what to my wondering eyes should appear?
But containers of Greek yogurt by Nestle!
I almost did a happy dance right there in the aisles.
Yeah, I know, Nestle isn’t the most authentic brand…
But it is thick…
And has that same creamy, not too sour taste.
And…
It has an expiration date.
Because the other downside of making my own yogurt…
Is I never know when the expiration date is…
So I wind up throwing half of it away…
For fear of getting food poisoning…
From my own food!
So?
Are you a yogurt fan or aficionado?
Or what’s your favorite gringo food…
You wouldn’t want to live without?


Always, Em-Musing

8 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

I couldn't live without Greek yoghurt! After going Greek, you never look back, do you!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you found your yogurt! I used to eat it but just haven't thought to pick any up in a while.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I used to love yogurt. When I stopped eating dairy it had to go unfortunately.

Congrats on finding your Greek yogurt.

Barbara Watson said...

My daughter loves Greek yogurt! She is a vegetarian athlete, so her yogurt(along with nuts and beans) are a major source of protein for her.

Bethany Elizabeth said...

I've never had Greek yogurt, actually! Maybe I should try it. :)

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I like Greek yogurt in spurts. I've got to be in the mood for it.

Shay Lacy said...

I don't like the taste of Greek yogurt. I've tried 3 brands and disliked them all. Panera has a protein smoothie made with Greek yogurt. I can still taste it, but for 15 grams of protein, I'm going to drink it. Congrats on finding what you love.

Adam said...

never had greek yogurt, was never much of a fan of the regular kind