Wednesday, August 5, 2026

LOST TIME

 

It’s the Monthly Blog Hop for the Insecure Writers Support Group founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh

The first Wednesday of every month, an optional question is announced that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience, or even a story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post. 

                  Be sure to visit the Insecure Writer’s Support Group Website.      Our Twitter handle is @TheIWSG and hashtag is #IWSG.

 The Awesome co-hosts today are:

                          Shannon Lawrence, Diedre Knight, Liza, and Pat Garcia!


August 5 question - As a writer/author what is something you regret? Or something that you wish you'd done differently in your writing process?

Remember, the question is optional! 


I regret not taking my writing seriously way back when... 

I had always been writing poems, short stories, and other ditties...

But I didn't see a career in writing.

Eventually,  I became a copywriter for radio, TV, video, & film...

But I regret the time it took for me to realize I had talent...

My insecurities held me back

And then when I began writing novels...

I regret it took me even more time to consider trying to get published

My insecurities held me back

Ah, well . . .  as the French say —c'est la vie. 

And speaking of the French...

I was in Paris some years ago staying in an Airbnb...

I had one day alone before my next round of family and friends arrived...

So I sat down at the desk that was there and thought I'd get inspiration to write something amazing—by mere osmosis!

I mean. . . I was in the  city where Hemingway, Fitzgerald,  Stein,

Joyce, Ezra Pound, Miller and countess other authors had created some of their most creative works... 

Something creative should have seeped into me.

But mais non...







Frustrated, I did a  French thing and let something else seep into me.




OK, there was only a few drops left in the bottle of champaign I had the night before and I thought just a few golden droplets would somehow rally my muse. 

Mais non. 

Ah well...

I should have remembered the only thing alcohol has ever given me... 

Was a headache the next morning.

Now, at this time of my life...

I don't want to waste anymore time being insecure.

What about you?

Do you have something you regret? 

Or something that you wish you'd done differently in your writing process?

Are you insecure?

Always,

Em-Musing











2 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's great you don't want to be insecure anymore. Though I do think you were being practical, not considering writing a career. For most people, writing doesn't pay all the bills. And you've had writing-related jobs.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

But you're on the path now and that's what matters.