Sunday, November 1, 2009

THE STATE YOU'RE IN

Halloween is over.
And now it's November 1st.
And a holiday I think is even creepier.
Dia de los Muertos.
Or, Day of the Dead.
I think cultures that celebrate this day are very brave.
They honor their dead relatives by going to their grave and bringing them food, flowers, candles and gifts.
And then they expect their relative to SHOW UP.
Sorry, I think that concept is morbidly bizarre.
I'm glad my culture expects our dead to stay put.
Oh, sure, we'll go to a medium and do a seance.
But all we expect the medium to do is just talk with our dearly departed.
We certainly don't encourage our loved ones to actually leave their grave and party with us.
I know, I know, I'm sure my thoughts are irreverent considering this tradition goes back hundreds of years.
But I can't help it.
I think all those skeletons are creepy.
And that got me thinking.
I've watched enough TV shows to know a little something about forensics.
Corpses don't immediately turn to skeletons just as soon as they're buried.
So, I wonder . . .
Is everyone who expects their loved one to show up . . .
Prepared if they not yet a skeleton?
There could be many states of decomposition going on.
Like goo and gore, worms and stench.
And then I wondered . . .
In hundreds of years of celebrating Dia de los Muertos . . .
Has anyone really ever  . . .
Showed up?

Always, Em-Musing

No comments: