Tuesday, June 12, 2012

HOW DEEP IS YOUR NEED?

The fabulous Elana Johnson...
Is hosting a 'Never Surrender' Blogfest.
Although I haven't signed up...
I like the theme...
And here's my post on 'Never Surrender'

Years ago…
When I was honing my skills as an actor…
I signed up for an acting class with Uta Hagen
Renown Broadway actress and acting coach.
I, along with a fellow actress…
Had practiced a scene from Street Car Named Desire.
However, when we chose the scene…
We were unaware Uta won critical acclaim...
For her role as Blanche DuBois.
It wasn’t until the day before the workshop began…
When we found out.
“Are we nuts, Leigh? 
Playing Stella and Blanhce DuBois…
In front of the greatest woman to play Blanche DuBois?
No way! I’m not going to make a fool of myself.”
And so she baled.
And I was left with a choice: give up…
Or hustle and memorize a new monologue …
And then perform it in the next few days…
In a theater fifty miles away where I knew no one else…
No colleagues waiting in the wings…
To give me an ‘atta girl’, hugs, or a shoulder to cry on.
And to make the matter worse…
Two years earlier I’d performed in front of Uta…
And her harsh critique left me balling like a baby.
I did forge forward...
I used a monologue from Plaza Suite
One that I was somewhat familiar with.
I then rehearsed, got props, wardrobe and went.
But it wasn’t the hundreds of dollars I shelled out…
Nor that I’m a sadist for punishment…
That made me overcome this outrageous situation…
(And believe me, I have stage fright baaad)
It was a need deep within to prove I could do it...
That I had talent.
I feel the same for writing and wanting to be published...
And this need runs deep.
What about you?
Do you have a need?
And how deep does it run?

Always, Em-Musing
P.S. Uta actually gave me a mostly positive critique of my performance.

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You fought through the fear and redeemed yourself!

Barbara Watson said...

"To prove I could do it." That's a beautiful thing.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

My need is really to tell a story. But negative criticism (which happens to everyone) kind of sucks the life out of me. I haven't written a word in two months really. Probably won't for the rest of the year. It's just kind of meh...but I'll eventually return to it. I always do.

Jennifer said...

I do have a need. I don't think I realized it until just recently. I think it's great that you forged ahead and conquered your fear. Very inspiring! You leave me pondering the rest of the story and how it went, given the fact that she'd brought you to tears the first time you'd performed in front of her. I'm hoping the second time round was a bit more pleasant for you.

Julie Flanders said...

I really admire your tenacity in this situation, I fear I would have been like your friend and baled! Very inspiring post, and something to remember when I start to freak out and feel like baling on my quest to get published. Great story!

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, well done! I find that refusal to fail really goes SO FAR in most anything we want badly enough to accomplish. It will be what gets the writing there, too!

Mis Anthropy said...

That took guts, somehow I'm not surprised.

DL Hammons said...

Bravo!! Intestinal fortitude personified! :)

Shay Lacy said...

Very inspiring post, Leigh. My need is to tell stories. Now if only we had longer days to have time enough to write all of them.