Friday, October 16, 2009

A WOMAN FOR ONLY ONE SEASON

“Ladies and gentlemen, we are beginning our initial descent into the Detroit airport. Please remain in your seats with your seatbelt fastened,” the captain of the plane announced. “We should have you on the ground in about 20 minutes.  The current temperature in Detroit is 40° Fahrenheit, and the winds are coming in out of the West at 13 miles per hour.”
I was already missing the hot, humid tropics.     
An hour and forty-five minutes later I was back home in Toledo. It was 9:30 P.M.
BRRRR!
My apartment was freezing!
The next morning I awoke as usual with my cat sitting next to my head staring down at me dripping tiny drops of cat snot on my face.
“Hey, Sweetie  . . .
Cough! Cough! Cough!
Ack!
My throat! Burning!
SNIFF
Ugh! My nose! Stuffed up!
I staggered my way to the kitchen to make a pot of coffee. Surely, that would make me feel better.
I must say, the food in Mexico was fabulous. The coffee? Not so.
Ten minutes later, I was in my office relishing a freshly brewed cup of Trader Joe’s Bay Blend coffee.
Ten minutes later, I still felt like crap.
My throat was on fire.
My sinuses clogged.
My eyes dry.
I felt like I had left paradise and come home to hell.
The Flu?
No.
Allergies?
Nope.
A cold?
Negative.
My furnace on for the first time this season?
YUP!
Cough!
“Damn it!”
Cough!
“Damn it!”
Cough! Cough! Cough!
“DAMN IT! DAMN IT! DAMN IT!”
Just then my cat sauntered in to see what all the fuss was about.
“Fasten your seatbelt, Sweetie. It’s going to be a dry and parched winter ahead.”

Always, Em-Musing

No comments: