Tuesday, February 2, 2010

BRIEF IT UP

AVATAR!
WOW!
I finally saw it.
Everything I’d heard about it was true . . .
And then some.
Besides all the special effects . . .
And the 3-D effects . . .
It had all the elements of a great story . . .
Sympathetic characters 
Intriguing plot 
Gorgeous setting
Universal theme 
And unique style.
Yes, James Cameron, you definitely put your style into that movie!
The next morning, I got up and Googled Avatar for some background info and I came upon something even more interesting.
Specifically, this one line synopsis for Avatar:  A paraplegic marine dispatched to the moon Pandora on a unique mission becomes torn between following his orders and protecting the world he feels is his home.”
OMG!
A two and a half hour movie, boiled down to a one sentence synopsis.
ONE SENTENCE!
Why do I have trouble boiling down my novel to a ONE PAGE synopsis?
I also came upon this synopsis:  AVATAR takes us to a spectacular new world beyond our imagination, where a reluctant hero embarks on a journey of redemption, discovery and unexpected love, as he leads a heroic battle to save a civilization
Again . . .
A two and a half move summed up in one sentence!
OK then!
Here’s my synopsis . . .
Menopausal woman whines her way to publication.
OK, so it’s not the “real” synopsis I need to write.
But it’s made me realize that I . . .
Have to quit acting like a big ole whiny baby and . . .
Just do it!
OMG!
Wasn’t "Just Do It" my New Year’s resolution anyway?
Oh, boy . . .
Memory loss is setting in fast!
I better get the synopsis done and start submitting to agents before I forget I even have three books (in this genre) to get published.

Always, Em-Musing

No comments: