Thursday, March 25, 2010

THE NEVER ENDING QUERY

 have a killer query!
Or at least I think I do.
But then…
Tomorrow…
Tonight…
And even just a few minutes from now…
I could change my mind (and query letter)…
Again!
Does it ever end?
Does the doubt ever go away?
Will I ever find the perfect pitch?
For heaven’s sake!
How could I love one version of my query letter…
Submit to a few agents…
Only to look at that same query letter after I’ve come back from a relaxing weekend…
(And two rejections)
And think…
YUCK! IT STINKS!
“You’re over analyzing,” one friend said.
Really?
You get one shot.
ONE!
If it’s a stinker…
Well, then…
This query will be stinking up the nostrils of many, many agents.
“Then write another book,” another friend said.
“But I know this story is a winner! I feel it in my bones,” I answer.
“Maybe you’re getting arthritis.”
“Not funny.”
But she might have a point.
I need to send this latest version of my query letter to all pertinent agents…
Before old age and arthritis set in and…
I can’t even sign my name to the letter.

Always, Em-Musing

2 comments:

Elana Johnson said...

Besides writing, over-analyzing and second-guessing are the things we writers do best. Along with doubting.

But hang in there. Persevere! You will make it. :)

Karen Baldwin said...

:) Thanks