Monday, April 19, 2010

THE LONGEST YARN

Why is it taking so long?
A thought provoking question…
Depending…
On what’s going on in your life.
For me this weekend…
It could have meant my head cold (thanks grankiddies—again!)…
And why it’s taking so long to get over it.
Or it could have meant how long I waited for all the passengers with carry-on luggage …
To stow their bags and sit so the flight could take off on time!
But the most relevant issue for me was…
“Why is it taking so long to get published?”
Cripes! I was sitting next to my conscious!
At my cousin’s 60th b’day party!
My conscious lives and breathes and–
No, it was really my other cousin from Long Island who asked.
I’d forgotten that I had told her more than a year ago…
That I had written a novel (now three).
“So?” she persisted, “I don’t understand why it's taking so long to get your book published.”
As I explained the process of a writing to publication…
Editing…
Submitting to agents…
Getting an agent…
Re-writes and more editing…
Agent submitting to publishers…
Agent lands publisher  
More editing and re-writes…
Yada, yada, yada…
I kept scolding myself that I need to work even harder to find an agent…
Because the next time I see my out-of-town folks…
The only question I want to hear is…
“So, now that you got an agent, how long before I see your book in stores?”

Always, Em-Musing

No comments: