Tuesday, May 28, 2013

MY FATHER REMEMBERED

Hope everyone had a great Memorial Day weekend.
Me?
It’s obviously not celebrated here in Mexico
But that’s not to say I didn’t contemplate...
As many of my family members served in the military.
My father, Harold W. Baldwin…
Whose birthday is on the real Memorial Day – May 30th
Fought in WWII…
His was in the 12th armored division…
A division that helped liberate Dachau…
One of Hitler’s death camps.
Although my father died in 1992…
He will be seen on May 31st…
In a National Geographic Documentary…
Inside World War II  is a three-hour television event
that provides a detailed visual timeline of the complex
war, with personal, in-depth stories from veterans
who fought in the deadliest conflict in human history. 
See it Friday May 31 at 7PM ET/PT on 
National Geographic Channel.
Back in 1990...
My father had given his oral testimony…
In Farmington Hills, MI...
And his video interview is now part of their archives.
I hope I can get this documentary here in Mexico..
If not, my sister will DVR it.
And for the next two weeks...
I will be M.I.A. from my blog...
As I have family visiting from California.
SQUEE!!!
Catch up with y'all soon.

Always, Em-Musing

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Oh wow! I'll have to watch that special then.

Hart Johnson said...

That's cool that he'll be featured--liberating Daucau is huge. I visited there a long time ago--very powerful, evil-feeling place. Very fun to have a hero for a dad...

Intangible Hearts said...

Your father was a hero.

Creepy Query Girl said...

enjoy your guests! And how wonderful to see your father's contribution to the documentary!

Jennifer Shirk said...

WOW. That is amazing. I'm going to check that out tonight.

Anonymous said...

Do you have a spam issue on this blog; I also
am a blogger, and I was wondering your situation; we have developed
some nice practices and we are looking to trade methods with others,
please shoot me an e-mail if interested.

My blog post; http://www.hugecockfuck.org

Arlee Bird said...

Hope you've been having a wonderful time with your guests.

It's cool that your family is part of that historical record. During WWII my father was recruited into the Navy in order to play on the Navy basketball team. I always thought that seemed strange, but I guess things weren't all about war. My father learned to juggle when he was in the Navy hanging around the sports locker and all the balls they had there. He was bored and needed something to keep him busy.

Lee
Tossing It Out