Friday, January 13, 2017

FOOLPROOF WAY TO GET PUBLISHED

I have a secret to share…
What I’m about to tell you…
Will guarantee you a successful writing career.
In the next few sentences…
 I will give you important information…
That I’m only sharing on my blog.
This information…
Will result in you writing a “bestseller”…
But this will only happen…
If you follow what I’m about to tell you.
And that’s not all…
After I give you this writing secret…
I will also share…
How to market your manuscript…
So that agents will be begging to represent you.
Soon you will be on the NY Times best selling list…
Making millions and becoming famous!
Do I have your attention?
***er…uh…eeeee***
Sorry to tell you this but you were just pranked.
BUT WAIT!!!
ME TOO!!! MANY TIMES...
By intriguing Internet videos….
That promised me everything from…
How to survive a financial collapse...
How to prepare for the apocalypse…
To making “him” fall instantly in love with me.
I willingly gave up my precious time…
Watching these videos…
Listening to a compelling voiceover talent…
Who promised me...
Wait! 
Promised me?
Ah HA!! That’s the secret—a promise!
These videos hooked me by promising me something…
And I couldn’t wait to hear more...
And more, and more, and more. 
Hmm? 
We authors should do that too, no?  
We must provide a promise to the readers…
By crafting each word, paragraph, and chapter…
Into a compelling story making it so enticing…
That the reader just can’t wait to turn the page.
But if you’re a writer you already knew that, huh?
So?
Ever get hooked into Internet videos?
If so, did you ever get to the end of the video? 
And have you ever considered your story a promise to the reader?

Always, 
Em-Musing

1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If someone knew that secret I'm sure they wouldn't tell everyone.
I've watched videos that promised to help me learn how to play a game. For the most part, they do.