Wednesday, January 8, 2020

POE, ET AL


It’s the
INSECURE WRITER’S SUPPORT GROUP
BLOG DAY

IWSG was founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh and is a forum of writers who gather to talk about writing and the writing life.
The first Wednesday (2nd this month) of each month, a question is posted that members can answer in their blog post. These questions may prompt you to share insight or a personal experience or story. The question is optional.
January 8 question: what started you on your writing journey? Was it a particular book, movie, story, or series? Was it a teacher, coach, spouse, friend, or parent? Or did you suddenly just “know” you wanted to write? It’s all about connecting

The awesome co-hosts for todays posting are T. Powell Coltrin, Victoria Marie Lees, Stephen Tremp, Renee Scattergood, and J.H. Moncrieff!

First...
Happy New Year! And congratulations to the winners of the DecemberWEP + IWSG Writing Challenge!

Now me...
My love of writing all started when I was ten...
Influenced by two men: Poe and Rathbone...
I often feigned being sick to stay home from school..
I did it so well...
That my mother believed me...
And, I got a free pass...
Well, not so free...
My mother insisted I stay in bed all day...
And I don’t know whether she wanted to teach me a lesson...
Entertain me...
Or scare me to keep me from doing it...
But no sooner had the school bell rung...
Out came the phonograph...
And a stack of 33 1/3 albums.
Often it was  Mussorgsky’s Night on Bald Mountain

And then Basil Rathbone narrating 
"The Raven".

I listened to Basil so many times...
That I knew every word of that poem...
And every inflection of his performance.
I actually performed “The Raven” in school one time for extra credit.
And oh, how I inflected.
I guess no one was surprised...
When doing voiceovers became one of my vocations. 
At ten I also started reading Poe...
I loved all his somber, foreboding literary tones:
 "Masque of the Red Death,"Annabel Lee," "The Telltale Heart", etc.
Years later...
I channeled all those dark stories into my teenage angst...
Writing dark poems and short stories.
Continuing on to adulthood...
Stephen King satisfied my need to be creeped out. 
(currently reading DOCTOR SLEEP. LOve it!!)
As for me and my writing?
I have written Supernatural Thrillers...
But...
Ten years ago...
Something in me shifted ...
And I moved on to writing  humorous women’s fiction... 
I know! Go figure, right?
If I had to choose just one genre I love to write...
Hmm?I couldn’t!
Love then both!
So?
How did your writing journey start?
And how many turns have you taken, if any?

Always,
Em-Musing


16 comments:

Jan Morrison said...

I like your inspiration for starting to write. It seems almost homeopathic. And doing two very different kinds of writing? I'm with ya, sister!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Considering your beginnings, it is surprising your shift in genres. Then again, considering how much I love fantasy, I've still never attempted to write it.

Pat Garcia said...

Happy New Year!

I love Edgar Allen Poe. His poem Annabel Lee is one of my all-time favorites.

Wishing you all the best for the new decade.

Shalom aleichem,
Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Animal stories were my first love, like Watership Down. Then I found Narnia and Pern. Somehow I ended up writing YA/NA contemporary fiction. LOL!

Arlee Bird said...

Poe is a great influence for writing. I'm not sure when I first discovered Poe, but it was sometime in elementary school. He was certainly one of my writing heroes when I was younger. In fact, in an acting class in college, when we were supposed to perform a silent "mime" type depiction of a famous person's life, I chose EAP. I was terrible at it, but I still think it was kind of a good choice.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

C. D. Gallant-King said...

I started writing stereotypical, based-on-my-D&D-campaign-fantasy, and then I started to hate myself for it. Now I write anything funny, particularly horror with a touch of the fantastic. Not to mention the dozens of erotic books I've written under a pseudonym, which may or may not exist.

Pat Hatt said...

That was a bit of a shift, but no reason one can't enjoy writing away in any genre they see fit. Staying in bed when fake sick is no fun either haha

Allie Bock said...

I enjoyed the way you wrote this post. I used to hide under the covers with a flash light. But my parents always knew.
Allie
Www.alliebock.com

Rachna Chhabria said...

Poe has been a writing inspiration for many people! Nice to read about how your writing journey started.

Jennifer Hawes said...

Poe was one of my favorites too! Love his stories. I think that's why I write mysteries. He creates a writing mood for sure!

Fundy Blue said...

I enjoyed the story of how you started writing. When I had to stay home from school because I was sick, I filled the long hours in bed reading and listening to my transistor radio. It's great that your experiences led you to writing. All the best in 2020!

Beth Camp said...

Yep, love your direct, witty summary of how you came to write and how your writing transformed over time. I too once loved Poe. Alas, Stephen King is a bit dark for me, but my fiction carries the struggle against darkness even today. Keep celebrating the writing life. May 2020 bring only good your way.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I bet that recording of The Raven was so great to listen to! I'd love to hear how you ended up being inspired to switch to humorous women's fiction.

Satta King said...

Break down large projects into smaller jobs that can be managed more easily. This ensures you to be more efficient manner. You can also manage your stress if you use task division to cut your problems down to size.play bazaar
satta king
play bazaar
play bazaar
play bazaar

prince said...

Invest in large companies that offer consistent stock profits initially. Buying stock in large companies is less risky than investing in smaller companies.satta king
satta king
play bazaar

Jerome Samson said...

Vampires is not at all like in the movies or books. Sure, I understand. You are young you have the whole world open to you. You can be anything that you choose if you apply yourself and try hard to work toward that goal. But being a Vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, But how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity, I can help you solve any problem you are having
(1) If you want your ex back.
(2) If you want to stop having bad dreams.
(3) You want to be promoted in your office.
(4) You want women/men to run after you.
(5) If you want a child.
(6) You want to be rich.
(7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
(8) If you need financial assistance.
(9) If you want to stop your divorce.
(10 If you want to divorce your husband.
(11) If you want your wishes to be granted.
contact: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com