Wednesday, August 5, 2020

FROM WHENCE IT COMES?

                                           

Its  Blog Day for the
                                      INSECURE WRITERS SUPPORT GROUP

                                                             

The first Wednesday of each month, members of IWSG announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG Day post. These questions may prompt you to share insight or a personal experience or story. Remember, the question is optional.

IWSG was founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh and is a forum of writers who gather to talk about writing and the writer's life. 

Remember, the question is optional.

 

The awesome co-hosts for the August 5 posting of the IWSG are Susan Baury Rouchard, Nancy Gideon, Jennifer Lane, Jennifer Hawes, Chemist Ken, and Chrys Fey!

 Quote: “Although I have written a short story collection, the form found me and not the other way around. Don’t write short stories, novels, or poems. Just write your truth and your stories will mold into the shapes they need to be.” 

 


August 5 question: Have you ever written a piece that became a form, or even a genre you hadn’t planned on writing in? Or do you choose a form/genre in advance? 

Actually, I have written in a genre I hadn’t planned...

One that I never knew existed.
One day... 

A poem came to me...

I know... not that unusual...

But this time...

The poem came not from my thoughts...

But from somewhere “within”...

Like heartburn that finally surfaces and releases...

This burn was a poem that asked to be written...

So I wrote it... 

It was a different style then I had ever used.

A month or so later... 

Writer’s Digest had a writing contest...

One category was Non-rhyming Poetry.

Hmm? I thought.

Should I? Will I?

I did.

But before entering...

I was curious to see if there was a name for this type of poem.

Yup, there is:

Anadiplosis 

A repetition of the last word or any prominent word in a sentence or clause, at the beginning of the next, with an adjunct idea.”


Here’s my poem:

 

NIGHT OF THE LIVING SAD

 

We walk among you

You the normal ones

Ones that had childhoods of unquestioned love

Love from parents with no issues

Issues of depression and scary bouts

Bouts that caused sadness’ hidden

Hidden, in pillows sopped with tears

Tears of shame, and wanting

Wanting to be like other kids 

Kids with no twisted emotions 

Emotions wrought in a bedroom 

Bedroom: a haven, a prison, a trap 

Trapped by anothers desires

Desires for what was not meant yet

Yet I survived

Survive still

Still

 

I haven’t heard about the contest yet...

But am keeping my fingers crossed.

So?

Ever hear of this type of poem?

And/or...

Did a genre ever prod you to write?

Or are you an plotter?

 

Always,

Em-Musing                          

6 comments:

Susan B.Rouchard said...

Lovely poems Karen. What an original way of answering this month’s question. Happy August writing.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've seen that style but didn't know it had a name. Good luck with the contest!

Rachna Chhabria said...

What a lovely poem!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I think you have a good chance - that was really good.

Sadira Stone said...

What a moving poem! Yes, I have heard of this form because I taught high school English and collected poetic forms for the kids to try. It was wonderful to see reluctant writers blossom as poets.

Tamara Narayan said...

I've never heard of this type of poem, but your is powerful and also beautiful and frightening at the same time. I like it.