Wednesday, February 1, 2023

NEVER JUDGE AN AUTHOR BY THEIR BOOK COVER

 Hey! It’s the Monthly Blog Hop for the Insecure Writers Support Group founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh

Every month, we announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 

The awesome co-hosts for the February 1 posting of the IWSG are Jacqui Murray, Ronel Janse van Vuuren, Pat Garcia, and Gwen Gardner!

February 1 question - If you are an Indie author, do you make your own covers or purchase them? If you publish trad, how much input do you have about what goes on your cover?


If it’s one thing I’ve learned in my life...

It’s that while I’m good at some things...

There are some things I’m just not good at...

Like designing book covers. 

To me it’s like when people say, 

“Oh, writing a book seems easy.”

They don’t have a clue, do they? 

So when I think I can design a book cover...

I know I don’t have a clue...

And that’s not to say some writers can’t design a book cover

I’ve seen many.

But for me...

I know there are more qualified artists and designers out there .

For my book, AZAEL’S LOT

I hired a designer from Germany on Fiverr



The process was easy and the price right.

And truthfully...

I’m insecure enough about me being a writer...

I didn’t want to add another layer of insecurity...

Wondering if my book cover was good or not.

So?


What book cover choices did you make?


And for those who traditionally pub’d... 

Did you have any say-so?

How much?

And... were you happy with the results?

 

Always, 

Em-Musing



Here’s a link to the newest trends in book covers for 2023

 

8 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

I once made my own covers, but hiring a designer was the smartest thing I ever did lol!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think that designer did a great job on the cover. I'm fortunate I do have some input into mine.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

"Writing a book is easy." hahaha. The other line I like is "I'm going to write a book too." But they never do.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I couldn't design a cover either. I'd hire someone like you have done.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Fortunately you knew what you were good at and what you weren't. The cover is really good. (I think the interior turned out okay, too.)

Carol Kilgore said...

I'm the same as you! My book cover designer is talented and awesome. I wouldn't be able to come close.

Fundy Blue said...

I'm with you, Karen! I'll stick with what I'm good at!

Diane Burton said...

Same here--no talent for designing covers. Glad you found someone you can work with.