Tuesday, January 5, 2010

JUST REWARDS

I’ve been cleaning and organizing my office since New Year’s day.
Lots of little stacks of  “to do” stuff . . .
Like a stack of promos that came in the mail.
Will I really win the Publisher’s Clearing House sweepstake?
Offers for small products that were never on my radar in the first place.
Like the “scissor shredder.”
A small stack of magazines with articles that I want to read . . .
But never have.
Piles of papers with notes of things to research.
But never have.
And on and on.
Oh, all the piles were neat and organized  for most of the year . . .
But I never did anything with these piles.
And then my desk was nothing but piles with more piles on top of them.
As I shredded financial papers for the last three years by hand . . .
(I now own a real shredder thanks to a dear friend who bought me one)
I realized that the sayings, “Don’t sweat the small stuff” wasn't apropos for me and my office.
It IS all those small “to do” piles . . .
That have since become “never done” piles . . .
That make me feel like I’ve accomplished nothing . . .
And keeps not only my desk cluttered . . .
But my mind.
Suddenly, Nike popped up in my head.
Specifically, their 1988 slogan, “Just Do It.”
I always loved that slogan.
And that’s when I decided that's going to be my New Year’s resolution.
Just do it!
From keeping piles of “junk” cleared off my desk . . .
Sending queries out . . .
Reading magazine articles and then throwing the mag out . . .
Keeping my email “in box” clean . . .
To sorting through real mail and throwing out all those stupid promos and coupons I’ll never buy or use.
I'm just going to refuse to make anymore “to do” lists and "to do" piles.
I'm just going to have “Just Do It” lists and piles.
And then . . .
Just . . .
DO them.

Always, Em-Musing

2 comments:

S. Kott said...

Well, don't do the scissor shredder, it doesn't work!!!

Karen Baldwin said...

Yeah, I bought one of those not too long ago. Useless! Can only do one piece of paper at a time. LOL!