Wednesday, January 6, 2010

MY DREAM MAN

My blog today wasn’t going to be about Stephen King.
But how many people meet Stephen King and get to talk with him about their writing?
Well, I did!
Just last night!
Really!
In my dreams.
OK, OK don't get annoyed . . .
But I really did dream of him last night and . . .
Dreamed of him all night long .
Or so it seemed . . .
Because my cat . . .
Who sleeps by my head . . .
Was restless and kept waking me up.
But I’d fall back asleep and continue dreaming about Stephen.
And the dream was so vivid.
I was at his house somewhere in the Cleveland area.
I know, he doesn’t live in Cleveland . . .
But in my dream he did.
And then to get to his office . . .
We had to climb a ladder to the second floor.
Once in his office, we sat across from each other and talked.
It was mainly about how he still loves to write every day.
And then he was questioning me on my writing . . .
Do I love to write? Do I write everyday? Why aren’t I published yet?
Finally, his wife and daughter came home.
And that ended our visit and I left with his promise that he’d visit my writer group . . .
Oh, wait a minute . . .
LOL!
I'm getting it now  . . .
Just yesterday I forwarded an email from Guide to Literary Agents to the MVRWA loop (my writer group) about literary agent who is available to come to writer groups to speak.
Anyway . . .
Just the other day I was in the Meijer grocery store looking for a paperback to read on my plane trip to Florida and noticed several Stephen King novels.
They were huge . . .
In comparison to Dean Koontz’s “purse-size” novels.
And so I bought Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz.
And then I noticed The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen . . .
And bought that too.
I figured one book going to Florida, and the other on the flight back.
And so the reason why I’m posting about my dream to Stephen King is?
I have no idea!
Other than to share that it was exciting meeting him . . .
(he was much better looking in my dream)
(Gee, I hope he never reads this blog)
And that I woke up psyched to write!
And psyched to pursue getting published.
And still impressed with how prolific Stephen King is.
One of the best books on writing (to me) is Stephen’s memoir, On Writing.
In fact, I just now got the book off of my bookshelf . . .
Randomly opened it and . . .
OMG!
This is what I came upon . . .
And I had Hi-lited it in pink years ago . . .
Book-buyers aren’t attracted, by and large, by the literary merits of a novel; book-buyers want a good story to take with them on the airplane, something that will first fascinate them, then pull them in and keep them turning the pages."
Wow!
Did I channel Stephen King in my dreams last night?
Perhaps so!
Hmm? 
I’m leafing through his book right now and . . .
Many paragraphs are Hi-lited in pink.
You know what?
I think it’s time I re-read Stephen’s book.
Obviously the guy has a lot to say . . .
To me . . .
Even when I’m awake.

Always, Em-Musing

2 comments:

Carolyn R. Parsons said...

On Writing is by far the BEST writing book..I've read so many I've lost track and now I just pick up On Writing whenever I wonder how to do something.

Also...I have had a wierd Stephen King experience. I worked at a place where a guy came into the office. He looked exactly like Stephen King. Another customer came in after and said "I just saw Stephen King on the elevator" and now I wonder...was it? I will never know for sure. It was just so unlikely but geeze...Maine isn't that far from Ontario right?

Oh..and guess what...just revising a chapter and needed my main character to be reading a book at a bus stop, turn to my bookshelf, see The Dark Half, check the date to see if it was available in 1989 and saw that it was published that year. Wrote it in, finished, and read your blog post.

So apparantly Stephen King is trying to tell us all something. I'm gonna grab "On Writing" off my nightstand now to see what shows up for me!

Love Stephen King..not sure I'd want to dream about him though..Pet Semetary inspired the worst nightmare of my life...lol

Breeze

Karen Baldwin said...

LOL! In my dream, Stephen was very handsome. Have you ever checked out his photo on the back cover of On Writing? Why didn't anyone tell him that his hair was sticking up like a rooster's comb? He needed a hair editor. Gee, I hope Mr. King never reads what I'm saying about his looks. BTW, I loved Pet Cemetery, but the Shining is the one that creeped me out the most. Poor little Danny riding his Big Wheel down the corridors of the Overlook Hotel. The scene was so intense with that bloated woman in room 237(?), I actually had to read ahead to make sure Danny survived. Stephen King is a great writer!