Wednesday, September 25, 2013

HOOPLA

Did you ever have Mexican jumping beans?
Amusing, no?.
Well, now there’s another amusement in Mexico
Jumping ex-pats.
Specifically ex-pats jumping through immigration hoops.
This year in the Mexico government…
There’re new people in power…
And they want to make sure…
All ex-pats and corporations…
Are legit…
So much more is required to prove…
Why you are living here.
I’ve had my renewal in now for a few months and…
 **gasp**  **weep**
My visa renewal may be—denied!!!
Because it’s tied to my Mexican corporation.
(it’s not as impressive as it sounds)
OK, immigration acknowledges my corporation 'exists'…
But says it is not ‘operational’.
Really?
Mi dinero seems to be operating just fine…
It worked to build my house…
It built two rental casitas (cabins)
It paid all the property taxes and permits…
But immigration said I don’t have corporate invoices…
And no payroll!
OK, not yet, but I will soon!!!
All is not lost though…
I need to provide more paperwork…
My attorney will go to immigration and make a sad face…
And if all that fails…
I might visit the U.S. consulate to see if they can help.
And if after all that my visa renewal is still denied?
I will just reapply. 
But I’m not the only one this is happening to…
Every ex-pat I see lately…
Does some kind of silly shuffle or body movement..
To acknowledge that they're going through…
The same immigration hoops.
So?
Did you ever have to work so hard to live where you do?

Always, Em-Musing

P.S. I’ll be gone for a week…
      As I have family coming in.
      Catch up with y’all soon.

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm sorry, Leigh! Hope your attorney is good with sad faces.

Adam said...

some places are pretty bad at the strict rules for immigration. I hear Japan is really notorious for this too.

Lubaina E. said...

Whoa :O
Hope all turns out well..

Anne Gallagher said...

Beleive it or not, I've experienced this jumping through hoops right here in the US. It's not as easy to live here as one would think. Even if I am American.

dolorah said...

You know EM, it is true that all you need is money, lol. If you're paying taxes to the Mexican gov't, I'm sure they will eventually see the value in renewing your visa.

Poor thing though, I feel for your troubles.

......dhole

A Beer for the Shower said...

Yikes! I hope everything turns out okay for you. I've never had to work that hard at anything, living included.

Deidre said...

I feel your pain so so so so much. I'm an American Expat in Australia and all in all it will take me 5 years to get my permanent residency. it's been AWFUL. There has been crying and x-rays, and so much money. And marriage (that has not been awful. that has been spectacular and lovely albeit sooner than we would have imagined)

menopausal mama said...

OMG this is awful! I hope things work out--keep us posted!

Talli Roland said...

Oh, ugh, I remember all the annoyance of dealing with immigration issues! I feel your pain.

Arlee Bird said...

Seems kind of curious considering the indignation that Mexico expresses concerning the immigration policies of the U.S. which don't seem to work very effectively. I would think the Mexican government would welcome any little thing that adds to their economy.

Lee
Wrote By Rote