Tuesday, September 3, 2013

POBSISTENCE

Recently…
In a psychology magazine…
I read that obsession is a good thing…
Oh, I know…
Some will argue that being obsessive is a bad thing.
And I guess for that small minority…
Who are obsessively compulsive it is…
Because then it becomes a psychiatric disorder.
But what about the rest of us?
Especially when some psychologists are saying…
That obsession is the necessary ingredient…
To propel you to your goals…
Why?
Because obsession is stronger than passion.
Hmm?
For years…
I’ve been passionate about getting published…
But here I still am…
Still not pub’d.
So perhaps it’s true?
Maybe I need to crank up the level…
From passion to obsession?
What do you think?
Is there a difference between passion and obsession?
And if you’re pub’d…
Were you obsessive about it?
Did you crank up the level…
From passion to obsessive?
And how does persistence figure in?
Hmm?
Maybe there should be a new word…
That employs all three:
Passion + obsessive + persistence =
Obsepassitence.
Or how about, Possitence?
I don’t know…
You tell me what got you to being pub’d…
Or if you’re not yet pub’d…
What’s your driving force?


Always, Em-Musing

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think persistence and determination play a bigger role.
Or sometimes we just don't know any better than to keep trying!

Anne Gallagher said...

To me I think the difference is --
Passion is what propels you to your goal deep inside.
Obessession is what propels you to that same goal on the outside.

If that makes any sense. Passion to me comes from the soul. I'm passionate about classical music, writing, art, food.
Being obsessed allows me to work toward writing that best seller, buying that new Mozart cd, cooking that new chicken recipe.

Persistence is both inside and outside. It goes hand in hand with hope and faith. I hope I'll get published, and I have faith in my writing, however, with persistence, my writing will become stronger and my obsession with it will make it so. Passionate is how I FEEL about it.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Persistence, persistence, persistence got me an agent. I save my passion for writing.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Obsession is like fanatical. It implies an unbalance, but who in life ever achieved something great with a balanced life? A true goal in life is a burning obsession, a "gots to have" situation.

dolorah said...

I consider myself passionate about writing - about the stories I want to tell - but I'm not obsessive. Many times I feel it was plain luck that got my short stories published. I do hope passion and skill were the driving forces though.

.....dhole

yanmaneee said...

reebok outlet
moncler jacket
yeezy shoes
louboutin shoes
asics shoes
adidas ultra boost
jimmy choo shoes
michael kors handbags
air jordan
fila