Thursday, June 16, 2011

WHAT THE FOK?

Oh boy...
I'm writing this post knowing it'll be controversial...
But here  I go anyway.
I went to dinner last night at Red Robin…
(great burgers, but I prefer to chew in a more quiet setting)
It was my granddaughter’s birthday dinner.
(birthday dinner? I never gave my kids a birthday dinner)
And in true princess mode…
My granddaughter left the restaurant in tears about “something.”
Anyway, before the pouting and theatrics…
I had asked my daughter and her husband…
If they ever heard of Go the FOk—to Sleep by Adam Mansbach.
Well, the conversation got as lively…
As the ten waiters clapping and singing the happy birthday song.
They loved it. (the book not the singing).
Me? Hmm?
Guess ‘cause I’m of a different generation (yes, that means older)...
While I find it funny…
I still find it offensive to me (there…I said it).
Is putting kids to bed challenging?
It can be.
And I know, I raised two kids…
And babysat three grandkids everyday for four years.
And that equals hundreds and hundreds of bed and naptimes.
My take on putting kids to bed is…
There’s nothing new about it…
Except the parenting.
I often hear my daughters tell their kids…
“Eat your dinner, please.”  
Or…
“Clean your room, please.”
Please? Are you kidding? Please?
My parents never said, “please” to me to do anything.
And I never said “please” to my kids.
When was just, “do it” not enough?
While I don’t like this Mansbach book…
(he’s written several other acclaimed books)
I do like this quote from him…
“There’s this culture of preciousness and perfection around parenting so people are a little bit reluctant to admit to some of the frustrations because you’re supposed to be a super parent and not complain,” says Mansbach.
And my comment to that is…
Stop being a super parent…
Just be a parent…
Yes, you’ll have to deal with the angst…
Of hearing your kid whine or cry—a lot!
But just be a firm parent during the day…
And be a firm parent at night.
Because the truth is…
No one said that being a parent was easy.
So stop whining and...
Just the fok do it!
(Yeesh! I don't even like when I write this)
So?
Have you read or heard of Mansbach’s book?
What’s your take?
And when I said this post was going to be controversial...
I meant my take on parenting...not the book.

Always, Em-Musing    

6 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

I really want to read that book, just to see what it's all about.

As for parenting, I started early on using please and thank you, (I believe I was being sarcastic most of the time -- you know how it is with a toddler) However, even though Monster Child does not do anything I ask, (until I've asked for the 43rd time or screamed until I'm blue in the face) at least she says please and thank you and did get the "Politest Child" award from her school last year.

Jessica Bell said...

I love this book! Anne, you can listen to the audio version on YouTube :o) Narrated by Samuel L Jackson!
http://youtu.be/JxPMA5U0t7g

Karen Baldwin said...

I should qualify...I did teach my children to say please and thank you.

Saltlady said...

Please...When I saw the Title- I cringed! Haven't we fallen far enough off the turnip truck of taste and decency already in this country? Words, actions, pictures all have taken a huge fall from grace-example: I saw a TV show on USA depicting fornication- literally- in a town square last Sat. afternoon. I was appalled and disgusted that a child or teen might see this. No wonder they think sex is the greatest thing- and teenage pregnancy is rampant! Now we have this book, and while I've had my frustrations with getting my kids to sleep... which is different than just to bed..... and I've been VERY tired doing it at times- it never occurred to me to even think this. It might be a funny book to some- but I guess my definition of what's funny is different. Thank you.

Talli Roland said...

I must say, I do love that book. In fact, I'm going be posting the audio version of Samuel L Jackson reading it on my blog tomorrow. I find it hilarious! :)

Samantha Vérant said...

I haven't read it, but I'm sure I'd find it hysterical!