Monday, August 29, 2011

BLURB BRAIN

Just about ready to send my manuscript…
So I check my Submission Guidelines Checklist
Manuscript complete and edited  a
Cover letter  a
Synopsis  a
Query   a
Blurb…

Blurb?
Yes, I know what a blurb is…
But after many hours…
It seems I just can’t write a blurb!
And why? A blurb is short…
I write short…
I’m the queen of writing short!
But I’m stuck writing this blurb.
So I search all my query versions…
There has to be something in these I can tweak.
Nada.
I look at the back of a dozen books for inspiration.
Yeah! I got inspired…
But still couldn’t write the blurb.
Why?
What’s blocked in my brain…
That’s preventing me from writing the blurb?
Is it a physical organic brain matter thing?
Or a psychological brain matter?
Maybe I’m not really a writer if I can’t write a blurb.
(No! I am a writer. I am, I am, I am!)
Am I though, the only one this has ever happened to?
The only one stuck on this literary trifle?
Has your brain ever froze on a detail when writing.

Always, Em-Musing

5 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

Okay, here's my secret, I write the blurb like I was telling a friend what the story is about, but I'm on the phone and only have two minutes.

Send me an email and tell me what the story is about. Because I have no clue. So it better be good. piedmontwriter at gmail dot com

Jessica Bell said...

I always write the blurb first and then create a query letter out of it, so I'm afraid I'm not going to be any help! :-/ Good luck!

Linda Gray said...

Brain freeze, absolutely! Especially when brain is secretly imagining awful blankness on listener/reader face. Don't do that!! It really does help me to look at others' work as a template, and it seems that's what works for you, too. Maybe just play with it. Plug in your characters and actions etc. into their blurb, until it starts to flow. OR, if you have a friend who knows the story, have HER take a shot at it.

Lydia Kang said...

I am no good at blubs. There, I guess admitting it is the first step.

Unknown said...

Ha! I stink at blurbs too. Thanks for that link! I'm going to check it out further!